What licence do i need to keep an emu ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harley0402

Hi guys, iv been looking into getting emus, and i am just wandering what licence i need. I found the wildlife farming licence but its quite pricy and im curious as to weather i can keep one on recreational wildlife licence for birds as i wont be breeding or selling them, i only want 2 ? cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume they'll be outside so they might just look like a couple of wild ones and not need a licence. I cant imagine there is a lot of undercover emu police out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
i read somewhere the other day that you needed to have a hectare yard fenced off for eacxh emu, but this was on a nsw licence...

I can't speak for QLD but here in NSW it's minimum of 1 hectare for one, maximum of two per hectare, that area has to be fully fenced to the same standard as commercial emu farms and must not include direct access to a dwelling or thoroughfare to a dwelling. I am sitting on the couch eating roo kebabs with an emu at my feet as I type this :lol:

you need a b3 emu endorsement.quite simple to get if you meet the right requirements

That's for NSW, the info is a bit harder to come by for queensland, might be worth a phone call OP

Actually I find the females more problematic at breeding time, they get very defensive whereas the males seem happy to just glue thier bums to their nests and stay there as long as you keep a respectful distance.

Not the male a friend was looking after, around breeding season it would chase you around the pen or along the fence line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back