What Makes You Proud To Be Australian?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vampstorso

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm certain this would've been done before, and I admit I didn't search to check; What's wrong with adding some fresh blood to the forum?
Plus, no doubt new people will reply or have new answers.

So back to the point:

Until recent years, I admit being patriotic was the least of my interests, but more recently I have a great sense of pride for this Country.

So, What makes YOU proud to be Australian?

Be it a law, an event, a person (celebrity or not), a place, a species, a persona, social interaction, ANYTHING that makes you proud!

Please don't start whinging about laws/people etc you don't like, that's not the point of this thread at all.

So I'll start things off;

Celebrity wise, Anthony Warlow makes me proud of Australia. I've seen him many times live, and he blows me away and receives a standing ovation each and every time.
His part in Dr Zhivago was even custom developed for him when the writer saw his performance many years ago; I really can't blame him for this choice!

YouTube - Anthony Warlow & Lucy Maunder sing 'Now' - Doctor Zhivago The Musical

YouTube - Dr Zhivago "On The Edge of Time"

Another (although no doubt controversial) person who makes me proud of Australia, was Johnny Howard.
He took care of our country, didn't let other places step on us, and ridded Australia of its debt. He was a strong man, and didn't care about making the popular emotional based decision; he cared about making the unpopular but NECESSARY decision.

Persona and social interaction wise, I ADORE that nothing is sacred in Australia.
We have the ability to poke fun at any and everything we wish. Keeps the spirits high, and stops people taking life too seriously!

So come on guys, what makes you love this great country? :)

Casey

Last edited by a moderator:
Our beautiful wildlife, our easygoing lifestyle and the way we are not quite english, not very european and not quite american.:)

I did say not to turn this into complaining about Australia,

I disagree with you, and you disagree with me, that's fine,
But misses the point of this thread

I am amazingly proud to be Australian, and to be more specific, a Sydneysider. I have been working in QLD for a few months now and flying into Sydney and seeing the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House literally made the hairs on my neck stand up.
Apart from the reasons already stated, we have so many opportunities to get a great education and to be successful in life. We aren't overpopulated. We have the Great Barrier Reef. We have the Aussie spirit for our fellow man (anyone who doubts may wish to see videos of the recent natural disasters and how many people offered help to their neighbours). There are so many others that I can't articulate properly but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else...

and why do I have to have the same thoughts as you all?

I may like whom I wish, and give them the credit I personally feel they deserve.
No one is ever going singularly agree on backing the same person as everyone else, (oh look...another good thing about Australia...we have some choice over who governs us.)

Doesn't mean anyone is required to agree with me, does mean neither should push their opinions on another, however.

nice to see everyone is SO optimistic today!

The reason i'm proud to be aussie is, i can swear like a trooper half the time and when i'm on the phone to my american friends i can out belch them and they try and fail :p

Seems some people certainly like zeroing in on one thing, and can't get past it!

Let's just ignore my praising the Aussie persona, and our great preformers, and not focus on what we deem to be the negative!

Australia is great but i can't stand the populated cities and 90% of the people "sheep"

I think the outback is absolutely beautiful and i am proud to have that as part of australia. THis is what makes me proud our native flora and fauna and our aussie spirit.

I wouldn't say proud, but I love our -

Beautiful beaches. Wonderful scenery.
Our unique animals. Our lifestyle.
Our freedom. The weather.
The dawn service on Anzac day.
The Australia Day bbq we have at our place every year.
Great Aussie bands/artists.

I agree Grogshla,
well said :)

on another note,
everybody having the option to receive tertiary education (once meeting entrance requirements) is something I'm especially thankful for within Australia.

I am proud to know some of the most Unwhiney Australian Women in the world(and Men)
I am Proud of the beautiful Land we call home
I am proud of the brave Australian and New Zealand Soldiers that have fought together side by side to keep our shores safe
I am proud of our spectacular fauna
I am proud to be an Australian Woman who will guide her Daughter to have the same strengths as her forebearer's
I am proud to LOVE Australian Men(and their habits)you can not get better any where else in the world :)
(I lied I dont love ALL their habits lol)
Good thread xx

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Silence bled through emptiness
in prehistoric solitude
Kimberley from cliff to sea
offering no platitude
Colours burst to meet the sun
chasms rainbow bright
Murky waters discontent
shimmers into sight
Crocodile with toothy smile
master under there
Jabiru's voice rings true
chaotic in the air
Graceful erne lets senses burn
in thermal high now soaring
I forget the city stress
where football crowds are roaring
Thats both what makes me proud and what I miss most
[/FONT]

I'd like to answer this question but I find it a hard too. However,
I love the Beaches.
I love the girls on the Beaches.
I love the Fauna.
I love how when you go driving through the country it can change from Rainforest to Eucalypt Forest in a matter of minutes.
And most of all I love the get together BBQ's

Convict torn thus was born
a spirit that runs cool and free
it trouble looms empty rooms
show the aussie destiny

Land of browns, it burns and drowns
here freedom is the score
don't hesitate to help your mate
built into the core

From far and wide fly or drive
to lend a helping hand
no pay but satisfaction