What one is this..? again its a juvenille.... its colouring was quite something

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosaurus

Reaction score
002.jpg004.jpg006.jpg

What one is this..? again its a juvenille.... its colouring was quite something. It was like a red ochre with the spinal ridge a dark brown/black which makes me wonder whether it was a baby red belly...

I found it dead on the driveway the other morning... eaten.... poor wee thing.

I couldn't see any yellow or red on its belly but hey, Im not a trained professional... thats why I need your help.

Sorry the photos are a bit grainy cause I only had my mobile...

On the screen Im looking at those photos on al I can say thats it's not a RBB and its catfood. A location will help though

Just outside townsville.
It could be any number of small elapids in that area, possibly a black striped snake, but you will also get curl snakes, carpentaria snakes, etc in the same area that do vary in coluration, I personally wouldn't go any further than 'small elapid' with any confidence.

I would say it is a Black-striped Snake (Cryptophis nigrostriatus). Try Googling a pic for comparison.

Blue

PS Baby Red–bellied Black Snakes look exactly like the adults in terms of colour. Evenly coloured black back and sides, except for the lowest rows of lateral scales, which are normally marked with scarlet red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back