What sealer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about sealing the top surface of the tile or to glue the tile to the timber and seal around the edge of the tile?
For the top surface of the tile I seal it with at least 3 coats of pondtite for much easier cleaning.
For gluing the tile to the wood/melamine and sealing around the edge of the tile I use Sikaflex, you can buy it at Bunnings and most other hardware stores. There are a few different types of sikaflex, get the one for gluing glass. It comes in black and white (and maybe another colour). You will also need a caulking gun to go with the sikaflex (dont forget to get the nozzle for the tube of sika).
Sikaflex is notorious for setting in the nozzle, I would suggest when you trim the end of the nozzle keep the end quite narrow so you can fit a long nail down the nozzle so when you next want to use it you can pull the nail out with some pliers and it will still work.
Another way to make sure you can still use the sika is similar to the above but I cut a decent length of a wire coat hanger and poke it all the way down the tube when I'm finished using it. When I next need to use it I put a bend in the wire then another bend further along to create a crank handle, use the bend in the wire (kind of like the handle of a fishing reel) to twist the wire around inside the tube before pulling the wire out. This is my preferred way of extending the shelf life of my sika
When smoothing out the sika get a spray bottle and fill it with dishwashing liquid and water, spray the solution over the sikaflex and a bit on your finger then draw your finger with minimal pressure along the bead of sika, the liquid prevents the sika from sticking to your finger and allows the bead of sika to be smoothed out really nicely, this can be repeated if need be.
Metho is good for cleaning any mess from the sika too.

Hope this is easier to understand than it was to write

Aaron

Last edited:
Well, if you dont know to use sika for sticking down or sealing a tile I would assume that you hadnt used it before.
Next time dont ask for help if you are going to get smart. Obviously you already know all there is to know about everything including sealing tiles.
Next time I will ask you.

Aaron

Last edited:
Well, if you dont know to use sika for sticking down or sealing a tile I would assume that you hadnt used it before.
Next time dont ask for help if you are going to get smart. Obviously you already know all there is to know about everything including sealing tiles.
Next time I will ask you.

Aaron
I thought you were being smart in the first place sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back