What size do you keep your jungles in?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scurrilous

Not so new Member
Reaction score
everything I've read tells me they are semi arboreal, so should i treat them as arboreal or not? all the averages i have found say to put you snake in a minimum 3/4x (side to side) by 1/3x (front to back) and between 3/4 and 1x (top to bottom) of the fully grown length (obviously not going to put a hatchling in an enclosure that size, but when they grow this is. However, whenever i look at enclosures the average height seems to be about 1.2m for a tall enclosure while using the formula you get 1.7highx1.5widex60deep for a roughly 2m snake. That's the premise to my question and i guess the important part is;
What size/type of enclosure do you keep YOUR jungles in? pictures may even help too.
Would it be wrong to have 3 enclosures over a lifetime to accommodate growth, or move from click clack to full size?
Thanks guys :)

1200x600x600 for adults, though bigger is always better. You can comfortably keep them in click clack/storage containers up untill they are the appropriate size to go into the adult enclosure.

No pics sorry but mine is 4x4x2 and when I moved him into it a couple of years ago it was straight from a click-clack.
With Jungles, locality is a bit more important for size because they are so variable. For something like an Atherton that could get to 8' I wouldn't put it in smaller than what I have for mine but that's just personal opinion.

thanks guys, for an idea im looking at getting a julatten once i get my licence and everything set up, if that means waiting for next season so be it, i know what i want and i want to be ready.
so it sounds like straight from click clack to adult is good, would it be bad to move into something as big as a converted wardrobe? or stick to the slightly smaller? thanks again

bandit i have to say that is one of the most entertaining enclosures i've seen, and sure your jungles will love it

I am currently building 8 new enclosures , 3 are finished so far, it is a challenge to design each one differently but also suit the snake it is housing , I bought two Jungles males last week ( both had been tubbed all their lives ) and although one loves climbing on branches the other wont use them, Im hoping he will like the rope bridge instead. As its a bank of 3 I have to finish the other Jungles tank before I can put them in and see if they like them. The other Jungles tank will be far more entertaining by the way.

Cheers Deb

that enclosure is awesome Bandit05 - is it a converted fish tank or does it have sliding doors at the front? Couldn't tell from the pic

Its actually one of a bank of 3 , I made it by converting a wardrobe , it has glass sliding doors on the front which were not on there when the pic was taken.

Cheers Deb

would it be bad to move into something as big as a converted wardrobe? or stick to the slightly smaller?

When they are adult size you can put them into anything as big as you want. I will be moving my yearling from a storage tub to a 1200x600x600 in the next few days, and i have an adult in this converted tv unit which is much bigger (Looks a bit bare and boring but does the job).

Attachments

• 2012-02-12 15.38.04.jpg
    2012-02-12 15.38.04.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 54
is there any guide out there how to perform a conversion, something useful especially with the light fittings and whatnot? which poses another question, a good heat gradient would be from mid 20s at low end to around 30 or low 30s high end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back