What species is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MalamuteInfo

Reaction score
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help, I have this gecko living in and around my house.

I'm hoping he is native and not the introduced Asian species.

Is anyone able to determine what species he is? Photos are attached.

Cheers

:)

It looks like a robust velvet gecko to me, oedura robusta, its not an asian house gecko though.

Cool, thanx for the reply Jordo.

I'll keep up with the swat for the flies then, rather than the spray ... I don't want to poison him. Now knowing he's not introduced I don't mind cleaning gecko poop off my walls neither!

sorry, I got it, it wasn't showing till I refreshed the page ...
yeah I forgot to put it in so I edited the post and added it sorry.

Yup, that looks like him! Sure has the same diamond-like markings and body proportions (chubby body and broader tail etc). The first photo on that website in particular.

Thanx heaps for your help!

Yeah we have them in our place, they seem to live very happily alongside the Asian House Geckos we have loads of both.

Great looking Gecko. Wish i had 'em cruising round my place like that Malamuteinfo! The only wild animals i can find in my concrete jungle are 'humans'. In plague proportion!!!

I live further south and always assumed geckos were mainly found up north, in more humid areas ... so I'm pretty chuffed about my solitary house guest, hopefully a mate will turn up for him one day!

You need to move closer to the bush, Jessop! I once had to dis-assemble one of the dogs' big kennel runs to free a rather large goanna who'd gotten stuck in there. That was tedious work! We also have this most gorgeous little bat who comes and visits every night, he flies around the yard catching moths and eats them in the garage leaving only their wings.

We have great native birds around too, I have logged 68 different species from the bush at the rear of my place. But of course the concrete jungle is closing in on us. :-(

Cheers!

Sounds great where you live! One day i hope to move closer to the bush... And Melbourne weather has to be the worst in the world! Might have to move to Queensland.

I lived the majority of my life in Geelong, believe me the move to Queensland didn't need a lot of thought :lol:

Hey Jessop, all I can say is JUST DO IT!!!! You'll probably live longer ... and you'll also wonder why you stayed in the madhouse for so long!

I've been to Geelong, it's not so bad, more laid back than Melbourne though for sure. But (south) QLD has nicer weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back