What to feed...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricko

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wandering what else i can feed my ridge tailed monitors on apart from crickets and roaches?

Cheers rick

Turkey mince, beef mince. Pinkie/fuzzie mice. Non fished based whiska's. Dont feed to much meat as it will make them fat!!! They are little garbage disposals man...and will eat nearly anything!!

Freshly moulted meal worms, wax worms, pink rats, chicken meat......

What's wrong with feeding fish based cat food? Whole fish or fish fillets are fine (not too often of course) but what is it about the canned stuff that is bad?

Because it has the wrong phosphorus-calcium ration (what i was told anyway!). Also, its obvious you dont Sdaji, as you have already stated. But make sure you dont feed fish too often..it can lead to a thymine defeciancy

i thought i was feeding none fish cos it was beef jelly mince to my bluetongues, but if u read the back there is still fish in it. read the fine print

Because it has the wrong phosphorus-calcium ration (what i was told anyway!). Also, its obvious you dont Sdaji, as you have already stated. But make sure you dont feed fish too often..it can lead to a thymine defeciancy

That calcium information is silly, whole fish are a great source of calcium. I wouldn't say it's obvious, I don't know why canned fish based cat food is bad, I just know lots of people say it it. Whole fish on the other hand are often said to be good and I know of several people, including myself who use them with good results. You can't cause a deficiency by feeding something to them! (Unless it makes up the bulk of their diet, or somehow leaches nutrients from the animal). Frozen fish are said to be deficient in D vitamins, but that won't stop them getting their vitamins from other sources, my goannas get such a varied diet I don't think they could be deficient in anything, but yes, if you fed them exclusively frozen fish they may have problems.

I feed fish occasionally to my baritji (when I run out of fuzzies) I also feed large amounts of fish to my crocodile. I was merely stating that feeding a whole diet of fish is bad. However I have been told by people with 30+ years experience not to feed fish flavoured/based catfood to reptiles. I will have to ask them why I suppose!! As I have no idea, and only know of a defiancy problem from feeding whole fish. This is what Dr. Adam Britten has to say on the matter of feeding whole fish. (It is written about crocodillians, but also apply's for other reptiles.)

Taken From: http://crocodilian.com/crocfaq/faq-5.html
There are two big disadvantages with feeding fish. The first is that fresh and frozen fish often contain large amounts of the enzyme thiaminase. Freezing appears to increase concentrations of thiaminase in tissue, so frozen fish should be treated with some caution. Thiaminase destroys the vitamin B1 (thiamine) and thus if you're using fish ensure you use a vitamin B1 supplement, or you heat the fish (80 degrees C for a short period) to denature the enzyme. Not all fish contain thiaminase - eg. ocean perch are a better choice. The second problem with feeding fish, particularly oily fish, is the possibility of vitamin E deficiency (steatitis). This is a common disease in crocodilians fed a very high proportion of fish in the diet, so be aware of its implications. The high proportion of unsaturated and rancid fatty acid that is present in fish (particularly if it's not fresh) rapidly accumulates in the caiman's body if you feed little else. Oxidation of these fatty acids (which is prevented by the presence of vitamin E, an anti-oxidant) leads to the formation of ceroid pigment that results in necrosis of fat cells and serious inflammation. Fatty build-ups and nodular lesions develop throughout the body cavity and within the extensive subcutaneous and intramuscular fat pads. If this sounds nasty, you're right - it can be fatal to the animal. Increased variety in the diet is the easiest way of avoiding this problem.

One of the supposed problems with fish flavoured cat food is the high protien content. Too much protien can lead to gout.
With regards to the comment about they cannot be deficient if the food contains calcium, this is incorrect. Too much phosphorous inhibits the uptake of calcium so the Ca/Ph ratio needs to be correct as well as the % of Ca. There are other reason why Ca may not be absorbed or utilized.

my ackie will tackle anythan, i mainly feed him roaches, crickets, moths, grasshoppers and huntsman spiders but he will take pinkies, fish, raw meat and occaisonal egg.

Magpie said:
One of the supposed problems with fish flavoured cat food is the high protien content. Too much protien can lead to gout.
With regards to the comment about they cannot be deficient if the food contains calcium, this is incorrect. Too much phosphorous inhibits the uptake of calcium so the Ca/Ph ratio needs to be correct as well as the % of Ca. There are other reason why Ca may not be absorbed or utilized.

Exactly right on the phosphorous side Maggie and I have always thought that the preservatives used in canned fish variety cat or dog foods would have to be different from those used in the meat, (animal), based products. Basically, I believe it was just the fact that the excess Phosphorous prevented a suitable level of uptake of the calcium content which gave rise to this belief of "non-fish" pet food feeding was the safest course to take. I believe that if a fresh study was to be made of the same subject now as opposed to the old one, made years ago, totally different results, and therefore, reccommendations would result.
JMO.

just a word about canned dog and cat food.........
some of the cheaper brands of cat food and dog food contain animals disguised as other animals
eg - 'exotic birds' = road kill this is with one of the o/s cheapo brands
the other thing with pet food....it is designed for dogs and cats specific
dogs - puppy
dogs - adult
dogs - geriatric

cats - puppy
cats - adult
cats - geriatric

these have had the vitimans and minerals adjusted to what the dogs or cats bodily needs are at that age

but now a question..........
do you feed your reptiles age specific dog/cat food?
any specific brands?

nah its not the best hay....
has added colouring and stuff, some of the chemicals used to colour foods effect animals cause they arn't use to it, same with humans

have you ever tried homebrand tuna?
i vomited it up cause it was so bad (and i NEVER waste food!!!)

he he he he
thats what in the vet industry we don't reconmend....it gives the dogs bad gass!!!!!
really bad during a temp test...

:O yukky. Oh well, I guess that explains the ranscid smell that comes from my baritji cage after i feed dog food eh?

he he he he
mayby...... science diet is really good for dogs but not sure about reptiles.....
another text book project a comming
yippy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back