What wattage?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

misky

Reaction score
I've jusst been looking at some of the reptile supply sites and I am completely comfused when it comes to buying lights :?: :?: I am wanting to buy a basking light but I am confused as to which wattage to buy. Can someone give me any hints on how to work out which wattage I need?

Thanks In Advance

Cheers,
Misky

Hey Misky,

It depends on what sized enclosure it is going into, and also what type of animal you will be keeping?

Ben

I use 100 watt reflectors in all my enclosures. I have dimmer that the light runs through.

I one size globe does all. With a dimmer you have every wattage in one. Just turn up or down.

You can still use a thermostat with it as well.

Playwell, where do you get your dimmers from and how much do you pay?

At the moment I have been testing simmer stats the type that you get out of ovens ( for the hot plates) I am running them with 9metre heat cord on low and get a constant 30 degress at one end of the enclosure had no problems so far

If it were me Misky, i would go for something mid range, say 60W-75W. Alternatively, as playwell has suggested- dimmers work really well and you can use those higher wattage globes.

Thermostats are a great fail safe if you live in areas where it is likely to get too hot, and they will allow you to maintain a constant temp, set by you. Although i know plenty of keepers who don't use them, and never will.

Regardless of what you chose, i would ensure that your enclosure is well ventillated, as diamonds thrive at comparitively cooler temps (than other python species).

Ben.

Not knocking what Pyror has just said.... But a 60-75 watt globe may spend 80-90% of the time on.... If you were to use a 100watt globe it will only spend 60-70% of the time on....

Where are you from... Because if you are in Vic or a southern state I think you may need 100watt for the cold winters down south..... I would go the 100wattt just to be safe.... And remember it is set up to the thermostat so you wont cook him unless you turn the heat up yourself...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back