Whats best for an unwanted wild Coastal Python???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfcop24

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A friend of ours has a Coastal Carpet...6ft plus... They have chooks and want to move it somewhere else.... How far should it or shouldnt it be moved? Will it return? Is there someone else that could take it? Or relocate it???

id ring the local snakecatcher, qldnpws or if you have caught it yourself, relcocate it back away from people if possible back to the bush. thats all they do with venomeous snakes when they come in contact with people

Well I now have the snake..... They said they were ready to kill it... And its now too dark to go tramping through bush lookin for a good spot.....

It seems to be a gravid female.... So would I be right in saying that is probably best if a Wildlife carer looked after it while it has eggs???

I am in SE Brisbane, North Gold Coast if anyone knows any local wildlife carers...

The snake needs to be released very close to where it was collected from. Is there a large park nearby ? It needs to be released quickly if it is gravid, so it can find a suitable place to put those eggs down.

I've spoken to a Carer.......And I will be taking it to them in the morning...... For now I have it in a 30L plastic container with lockable lid...small bowl of water..... Anything else anyone can reccommend...??

It is important to release it close to where it came from. The sooner the better.

Yeah I would agree to return it near where it was located but they dont want it there as they have chooks/chicks that it has or will eat... therefore it will most likely return to their place where the food source is................

As I siad a carer wants it brought round to their place..... So thats what I am doin this morning...

Releasing a fully gravid female?
I wonder if the carer will release her or wait til she lays.
A fully gravid female is a very vunerable animal and needs time to find her location, chances are you have removed her from her ideal spot. For her to be dumped in a lonely bit of bush to try and find a nest site again would be detrimental surely?

If she's gravid she not hanging round the chooks for a feed. Its also a bit late in the season. I'd say its chock full of chook.

They should of just left it be, they will have a constant flow of carpets passing thru if they have chooks, hell thell have them passing thru with out the chooks. As long as the chook pen is snake proof the problem is solved, carpets will hang around for a few nights trying to get in, once they realise they cant they will move off. If their chook pen is not snake proof, well they have just opened a sizzler restaurant for the local wildlife and will probally evantually lose most their birds.

It would be a fair bet that there would be rats around the chook shed as well. Maybe the snake is after the rats? If the shed is snake proof no worries AND it will keep the rats down if it is left in the area.

Peterescue...It seems you were right... I got some wrong information initially.... I was told it had eggs...... Not it had eaten eggs as we have found out... It also has Canker..... So the Canker is going to be treated and once recovered will be released back into a safe area away form the original chook shed.

And yes I will be speaking to my friends about the better option of snake proofing their chook enclosure.... (If it can be done....lol)

As I have been told, it is certainly a heathy (apart from canker) well fed snake......so I am sure it will handle the relocation fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back