whats my viv worth?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theduclos

Reaction score
hey all, looking at building myself a new enclosure for my EWD. but of course life being the way it is, money is a bit on the tight side. however my plans are to build the new viv, get it totally ready for him to move in, then sell off the old one to offset the cost. its totally handmade and wired by myself (I'm a sparky apprentice) the middle shelf is painted mdf, but the base of the tank is made of water rated melamine. has a 2foot fluro, measures approx 900 X 500 X 350mm high. The entire thing is 1300mm high. The only thing thats 'wrong' with the tank is that the melamine inside has some varnish spilt on it. but its covered by marine carpet anyway. so no big loss. I'm not fishing for offers, and when i wish to sell I will post in the for sale section. But that is months off anyway.

My ewd being a climbing lizard i want to make him a really good tank, 350mm isnt high enough, im looking at making something a little closer to 1500mm high X 800 deep X 1200 wide. depending of course on the glass i can source for it. Also a tip for any would be builders out there. Ebay old windows make an excellent glass source for tanks, just build your tank around the sheet you buy.

So how much should i expect to get for this thing when i put it up for sale in a few months time? Im not expecting much over $150 but let me know what you think.

Attachments

• tanknormal.JPG
    tanknormal.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 196
It's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it!!

I think that's a dodgy pic because it warps the striaght lines but I would pay about $250 for that if I wanted it. :)

pics fine, lid is slightly warped due to drying from heatlamp. but thats a really simple fix.

Considering it's quite small & damaged I don't think you will get a lot for it

lol, the bit of timber that is warped is 240X900 long, I have 6 sheets of the same stuff here at home that can be put on for the sale, a simple stain and screw job and voila, tanks fixed. That's the only damaged part, if you could even call it damaged

Many are also reluctant to purchase second hand equipment for fear of disease or mite transmission. So keep that in mind, it won't hurt to give them a decent cleanout with an antibacterial agent - F10 is the most popular as it is supposedly capable of killing borne bacteria and viruses, and also a pesticide. Then you are doing your bit to prevent the spread of serious diseases.

hmm, great point mysnakesau. one question on that, i havent given it much thought because i have only had the one lizard in there. whats the chances of him having anything. surely being quarantined from everything else he would be fine from those infectious diseases? id obviously be cleaning the entire thing before selling, and any self respecting buyer would clean it again before putting there own herps in it. you make a good point.

I am pretty sure you have very little to worry about. I haven't heard of any serious diseases apart from respiratory infections that affect lizards. But for peace of mind all round it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

So how much should i expect to get for this thing when i put it up for sale in a few months time? Im not expecting much over $150 but let me know what you think.[/quote]

the best thing to do is advertise it on ebay and let the market decide, you shouldn't have much trouble getting $150 if you fix the lid first. And its a good point about cleaning it out first I purchased a near new enclosure and cleaned it out with 10:1 bleach, but didn't spray for mites and a week later we were overrun with them.:x I would use surface spray (a low irritant one) if it wasn't to be used for a couple of weeks and then clean it out again.

cheers

Photos are often deceiving but if that is someone's first vision of something for sale they'll most likely not bother. Try put some more photos up. A more square, front on picture of the whole unit and then a couple of smaller photos enlarging the features of it.

thanks for the feed back. obviously when it goes up for sale it will have quality photo's accompanying it.however at this stage i got the answer i needed, with a dodgy pic that was on my computer from a year ago when i built it., im right with assuming i'd get around the $150 mark when it gets put on ebay. Obviously i could get more or less but the feedback given is in line with my thought of the value of it. In a few months time when it gets put on ebay ill let you all know and if you want quality phots of it then is the time. hell you can even buy it if you wish. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back