Whats this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
Photographed at 1770 (south of Gladstone) near the beach. About a meter long and took one look at me and ran (I have the same effect on women). Think it is eiher a very old V.gouldii or an old V.tristis

Last edited:
My first thought was V. gouldii with not a great deal of confidence. :?

heres one from turkey beach and one from 1770 as well.fairly dull colouring in this area normally.do get the odd bright one ever now and then.

Last edited:
saw heaps at facing island simon, are they sandies aswell?

yeah there everywhere.heaps of legless lizards on facing island too.always see a number of them when we go over there

didnt see any legless lizards, heaps of quail and wallabies tho

Slimebo i think your pic is panoptes too. To be honest i dont know what technically defines them from gouldi but they just look like V.panoptes to me.

Looking at the tail cross section I had assumed one of the semi aquatic species.... so my first guess was a Mertens.

V.panoptes are known as river goannas (as well as other names) i wouldnt say they were semi-aquatic but they can swim well and have tails exactly the same shape as seen above. Mine have on occasions ran into the water like a water dragons would and i have seen them swimming on other occasions. Perhaps semi-semi-aquatic.

Slimebo i think your pic is panoptes too. To be honest i dont know what technically defines them from gouldi but they just look like V.panoptes to me.

panoptes have some banding though most of the cream / yellow tail tip, sandies don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back