Whats wrong with him? (Water Dragon)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsly

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Gidday again, this big beautiful male is the largest on our course, over the past few weeks I have seen a sore on his mouth get worse.. finally saw him out again today for a little while with his lady and got some shots.

I dont wanna try and catch him in dense red belly bush unless he really needs to see a vet or something, I would rather make sure he is ok than watch him die or something.. hopefully its nothing but any of you guys who know please let me know.

golf5.jpg

golf2.sized.jpg

golf1.sized.jpg

I can't see it very well but it looks nasty, give your local wildlife carer group a call and speak to them.

Its like his bottom lip is sinking and his lower jaw is getting infected or something..

I wouldn't do anything, it's survival of the fittest, if he had been hit by a car or something i would but in a case like that it's nature.
You need to love animals enough to respect their wild state no matter what, it's just like those docos you see when things are dying or getting eaten, they don't interfere.

If that big male died then that would open the door for another younger male to move in, It's the cycle of life, watch it and enjoy it but don't stuff with it.

It is easy to say that but what if it is suffering,maybe Wires or someone could take a look, JMO!

I see your point mate, and i wasnt planning on tying to catch him and even if i tried I wouldnt stand a chance he's lke lightening!

There are plenty of other males around too, just a shame thats all..

It is probably the result of male dom fighting. It will either get better or it will die indirectly as a result of the infection.
I doubt if a rescue group will attempt to catch a wild waterdragon in terrain like that.

Pugsly, as you may know Water dragons will often sleep under water. No problem with that, right? Well believe it or not eels will attack Water dragons under water. I dont know if eels are nocturnal but there's a chance that an eel has attacked/nibbled the face of this dragon as its slept under water(they're deep sleepers) and perhaps this has become infected. I have witnessed eels biting the hell out of water dragons that have plopped into the water.

Just a thought.

possum said:
It is easy to say that but what if it is suffering,maybe Wires or someone could take a look, JMO!

Suffering is all part of nature not everything has a happy ending, by treating that animal you could be putting out another male which is how it all works.

I'm the same i see something like that and want to help but i restrain myself because in the end i wouldn't be helping anything except that animal.

Fair call duga.

As for the eels, havent seen any around there, but thats not to say there isnt.. Just noticed it came up last couple of weeks thats all.

Nothing wrong with these guys though, theres literally thousands of them!

golf14.jpg

golf9.jpg

golf10.jpg

Firstyl...WOW what an awesome place to visit...
Do you live near there or do you work there?
I think the Water Dragon maybe has an infected tooth by the looks of that..
Or something he was eating could have bit back!!!
It's great to see the biodiversity in that area anyway :D

I work there, have taken shots of red bellies, brown snakes, water skinks and dragons, turtles and frogs all in the last week! Not too mention the bird life and who knows in all the lakes, probably plenty of fish or eels or lockness monstors.. ok maybe no the lockness..

the green frog attacked him...lol...most probably fighting other males in the area

nice pictures...where is this golf course?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back