***? wheeleri has some issues!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benskene

Reaction score
new mum wheeleri has some issues!

Got home to find my new to be mother had laid her one of her eggs today. But to my horror she is missing her tail!! I've never seen a wheeleri drop their tail and I have kept the species now for 2 years now. What also worried me was the tail wasn't in the lay tub either! I was so confused! So I went digging for her egg and to my shock found her tail resting on top of the egg! She had dropped it whilst laying! Now I know this is her 1st time laying but what the?? Has any1 ever heard of this? I got some pics which I will post in a bit. She still got 1 egg to lay, worries me what's she going to bury with this one?

Last edited:
here is the pics

Attachments

• tail 013.jpg
    tail 013.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 92
  • tail 034.jpg
    tail 034.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 104
Ben,
I have read of this happening in geckos before so try not to be too stressed.

The most important thing now is to continue feeding her quite large amounts of food post-gravidity as she no longer has fat stores to use. Gravidity takes alot out of the females and without her tail, she will need lots of food and supplements to keep her healthy.

Yeah she gets plenty of attention and food. But she still got 1 more egg to lay yet and I think the 1st egg is a dud! Not a good start her anticipated motherhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back