When to hold after shedding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRMF

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have had my yearling coastal carpet for about 1month and a half now, she has not let me even go near to touching her yet. She literally just freaks out and tries to strike.

She recently shed and I am just wondering how long it is before I could hold her after that.

If she doesn't settle down I am going to have to sell her for another snake as much as it saddens me, I cannot afford to have a snake that is so aggressive around my younger siblings.

I honestly do not want to sell her because when she was at the pet shop I held her about 3 times on 3 different occasions and she was such a beautiful and lovely snake and she had no intention on being aggressive, in fact she loved being out but since I have brought her homes its a completely different story. She is only about 60 CM long.

Thanks,
Matt.

You have to have owned her for 6months before you can sell her. The fact that she was a good handler before you brought her home points to a possible problem with husbandry.

For starters, what are the temps? How big is the enclosure? Does she have plenty of places to hide? What are you feeding her?

It sounds stress related, maybe she hasn't being able to settle in properly. When you brought her home did you leave her alone to settle in? Is she is a quiet room?

Okay, so the temps are around 29-31 all the time. The enclosure is 4x2x2, I will add that she was in a 7 liter container at the pet shop.

She has 1 cave that she has only started going into this week, I will be getting another one for the other side of the enclosure. I am feeding her velvet rats, thats what the pet shop was feeding her.

She is in my room and has been for the whole time. It's never really loud in there as I work during the day. I do how ever watch T.V at night. I am willing to change her location if you think that would be a problem.

Cheers.

I usually hold my coastal the day after a shed with no worries :) in regards to the rest as mentioned above there could be a number of reasons, when I got my Jungle I experienced similiar issues, I covered her up for two weeks and didn't go near her apart from feeding and while she's still temperamental (typical jungle lol) it did help alot, maybe give that a go.

So you just put a cover over the front of the enclosure so the snake could not see anything at all? I might actually try that.

Cheers

A 4x2x2 is pretty big for a snake that is only 60cm long. Maybe see how see goes after you add more hides or consider moving her into a smaller tub. What are the temps at the cool end? Not being able to cool down and regulate their body temps can make them agitated. TV shouldn't affect her. Mine don't seem to care. :)

If she is striking at the glass when she sees you try covering it with some cardboard or newspaper for a few days so she feels less threatened.

When you do start to handle her, maybe this article might be of use.
Untitled Document

When I started handling both of mine, I used a hook as they seemed less threatened by this than just putting my hands in.

Have you fed her after she shed? How big is she and how big are the feeds you give as well as how often? Agression is often linked to hunting mode and I make a point of feeding asap after a shed as my girl has often gone 4 weeks without a feed by that time. As said earlier, if she handled fine before I would look at what has changed and ensure your enclosure is set up properly. Also look up some of the handling advice given before as there are ways to settle them down in how you handle them.

Also to answer your original question I handle mine within a few hours of shedding as I like to look her over and make sure it was a full shed.

well my coastal smashes 2 rats in a row straight after a shed lol so i then have to wait another 2 days for him to digest and feel comfortable in his new skin. It is a 2-3 wk stint each time he sheds that i dont go near him (he sheds roughly every 6-8 wks). Have you tried the pillow slips? it seriously helps me with mine - he is a jumpy strikey little guy. Maybe you and the snake were more comfortable in the pet shop....try to chill out and worst case u cop a bite lol thats what i think. I wouldnt give up on it just make it a rule that u r the only one that handles it thats what i do 4 now anyway 8) and remember she isnt out to get you she is more than likely scared to death.

I handle pretty much straight after a shed with my md and spotted
offer a few more hides
1 and a half months is a long time to let a snake settle
I think it is use to be left alone and is very cage defensive now
only other thing is when was it last feed ?
Not hungry I suggest getting in and handle handle handle you got get it use to being handled again

Thanks for all the help guys. I last fed her on the 12'th of Feburary. I usually feed her every 2 weeks and a half. The cool side is around 27 and the warm side is 30. I will be buying her more hides soon when I get paid and hopefully I can get a hook as well so I can get her out with that and she might be a bit more friendly. The rats she eats are about 15cm's long and I only feed her one. Should I be upping her meal sizes?

Weigh your snake and work out what 15-20% of her weight is, that is a general rule of thumb that works well. My Mac is just over 470gr and she has two rats per fortnight that add up to a weight between 90-100gr.

The pillow slip over your hand is good advice and comes originally form one of our experienced members who handled a lot of rescued and injured snakes.

Thanks for all the help guys. I last fed her on the 12'th of Feburary. I usually feed her every 2 weeks and a half. The cool side is around 27 and the warm side is 30. I will be buying her more hides soon when I get paid and hopefully I can get a hook as well so I can get her out with that and she might be a bit more friendly. The rats she eats are about 15cm's long and I only feed her one. Should I be upping her meal sizes?

as far as the hides dont stress about waiting to get paid, use whatever is around. I find shoe boxes are great or an ice cream tub with a small entry cut out of one side....even a plastic garden pot would do the job :). I still say a pillow case on each hand and no hesitation is the key but what ever works for you....im sure with time you will figure it out. As for upsizing is the rat that length from nose to tail or body ?

The pillow slip over your hand is good advice and comes originally form one of our experienced members who handled a lot of rescued and injured snakes.

Yes best advice ive ever recieved on here :D

Oh as for the getting tagged, that really is part of owning a snake. I wouldn't get rid of it but I would supervise carefully when the snake is out and the siblings are around, which should be the case anyway.

As a yearling I would feed them every 7-10 days. They ate still growing quickly at that age. They tend to calm down with a full belly. Like Gruni said 15-20% of their body weight is ideal.

A cheap pair of kitchen scales are worth investing in and are really cheap. You can pick them up in woolies or coles for around $20. It can be quite amazing how much they grow between sheds.

She sounds lovely though and I'm sure she will calm down. Also as this is APS I'm sure we would all like to see pics once she is relaxed. :)

As for hides, I use cardboard boxes for my baby snake as they are free and easy to upsize as my snake grows.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I will feed her in about 5 days after weighing her. I will also put more hides in her enclosure as well. I will definately try the pillow case trick. Why do people do this? Is it just so the snake can't tag you?

The pillow case is less threatening because it is less likely to make them feel like they are being picked up by a giant animal that might eat them. Remember snakes especially young, small snakes aren't very high up on the food chain and as such are easily frightened.

I have had the same problem with coastals, up the size of her feeds she may not be entirly satisfied, and take a bite just dont pull away they only tag you once than realise your smell isnt food alot of people may disagree but its worked a few times for myself and no more biting

Where is the best place to get the scales from to measure your snakes weight and the weight of its food.
Do you need the really sensitive digital ones? or can you just go to bunnings or woolies and pick one up and it will be able to weigh pinkies and baby snakes as well as fully grown snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back