Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofoula88

Reaction score
so i wanted to get a pygmy beardie and an inland beardie,but atm only have 1 enclosure(jst starting up).. so i cnt get both :cry: ..so now im un decided which 1 to get...i have a 4X1.5 enclosure,and i kno pygmys are smaller so that might be an advantage if i get a pygmy but i realli dont kno which i want more...
any recommendations any1???

I own a central (inland) Bearded dragon and my brother owns a pygmy bearded dragon and after handling my bearded dragon and handling his the pygmy seems more squirmy and less relaxed where as inlands seem more layed back but since we only own 1 of each i cant say that its the same for all

yer dats kinda wat i think 2,but at the same time i want 1 dat will be fairly active..for some reasons all the inland 1s ive seen that my friends have rarely move around..i dunno if thats coz of the type or wat =s

Inlands will spend most of there time under a basking light, due to desert sun heat they reinact this in captivity through a basking spot light, they wont do much up on there basking light but it is kind of cool to watch there reactions to things, because they will sit up there and simply watch everything. Like for example if someone walks in my room he will give him/her a death stare. its quiet funny.

Where as my brothers pygmy, you can barely find it in the enclosure . well i cant my brother seems to spot it really easy.

another thing i like about inlands is that their hunting skills are amazing, once they are developed that is, i got my fella at very young around 3-4 weeks or something, and his hunting skills hadnt hardened up yet, he would run after crickets and i ended up having to hand feed him for a while, but now he stalks them down then bang , there gone :) and he just sits there munching.

Another thing i've found is my brothers pygmy is a very fussy eater . but this could change from dragon to dragon

lol..yer i think they are hilarious...does urs do that hand waving thing?..i saw a couple vids and i made me laugh..hmm im still very un sure which 2 get..its gonna be a hard desicion..ultimately i like both,but i guess i should get which ever will be more handle-able and practical to get...

i would definately go the central/inland.
theyre are very good hunters. and react to a lot. also because pygmy are a lot smaller, they are harder to handle.
centrals i very easy to handle and will befriend you very easily...
for a first timer im guessing, like yourself, a central bearded dragon is very practical and easy to care for.

the only time they usually do the hand waving thing is when there is 2 or more. showing they are pieceful with each other. these are the main body signs

Pushups - usually done by females during mating they do a up and down pushup motion very slowly .
Head Bobbing - Can sometimes mean a pieceful motion but if their " Beard " turns black can sometimes mean agression to another male.
Hand Waving - Piecefulness to all inside its surroundings.
Open mouth ( constantly ) - Dehidration
Constantly Hiding - High Levels Of Stress - DO NOT DISTURB

Anything else you want to know about inlands just send me a pm

i would definately go the central/inland.
theyre are very good hunters. and react to a lot. also because pygmy are a lot smaller, they are harder to handle.
centrals i very easy to handle and will befriend you very easily...
for a first timer im guessing, like yourself, a central bearded dragon is very practical and easy to care for.

100% full of good information
always comes from costa :)

I would go for a inland beardy, they are awesome little critters, they arnt overly active when nothing is happening but are quite active when food is around.

well we are buying a western beardie coz they are not to small like pygmys and not to big like inlands/centrals...

the pushups head bobbing and arm waving can also mean that each of the sexes is trying to entice the other to mate

so many beardies..argh confuzing..i want them all..haha ,i dont know if the hand waving and all that other stuff is bad,but i hope mine does it...its just soo funny

lol yeah it is funny to watch. i remember mine was sitting on his branch once and waved and fell off coz he lost his balance. but he was only small at the time and probly dnt know better. but youll find that as they grow up theyre skills dramatically increase. its the same in all animals across the world

lol..aww poor thing..as much as i like inland i think i want a pygmy more,there just so cute...do you think i will have trouble handling them tho? as opposed to an inland..i know alot of people who have inlands but no1 who has a pygmy so i dont know,i know beardies are amongst the easiest to handle and im sure it wont be 2 much trouble,also i have 4x1.5 i dont know if that would be enough room for an inland,just exactly how big do the two grow? like wat are the differences between the two dif types?

i rerember my shingleback Kooba was showing of to or other shingleback Buddah by trying to climb a rock but fell off coz shingles are not climbers.

oh another thing, im pretty sure you cant get pygmy bearded dragons in melborne....

central bearded dragon will gro to somewhere aroun 45-55cm
pygmys will reach around 25-35 cm. about half the size...
but i chose central over pygmy for sheer size. dont ask me why. i have nothing against the pygmy. i think it must just be a psychological reason behind it for me. i just like the bigger dragon. dont know why.
but no matter which one you choose. im sure youll love it none the less. i would too.
if youve ever held a juvinile or hatchie central or eastern. then you shouldnt have any trouble at all. the yearling central will be about the size of an adult pygmy. so if youve handled a yearling central. no worries there.
theyre just as active as eachother imo at that size. you should be fine in terms of handling. if you handle them regularly they wll get to know you and know theyre not in danger or threatened.
now feeding a pygmy will be a litle different in this case as they are a lot smaller. but they maintain the same diet all bearded dragons do. apart from size. pygmys will probly ea the same amount as centrals at the hatchie stage, but when they grow up, pygmys wont take pinkies as readily or until they get to full adult size if they do at all. as far as the environment and enclosure goes. exactly the same as you would for a central. a few hides. same temps. and little if any humidity. a few plastic plants if you wish and some basking rocks and a few branches. other than that. your cruisin.

Inland beardies are probably the best suited to handling out of all lizards. I havnt ever kept pygmies but from what i have heard they dont tolerate handling anywhere near as well as an inland beardy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/woosang/4277776539/ - The image loaded didn't work..

I love my pygmies. They are small, cute, happy to sit on your hand or shirt, Pepple esp children love them.
Mine are not fussy eaters. I had six late last year and cause they are so small, they fit easily in a smallish cage. I not have two and the friends that received the other four love them as well.

I would highly recommend the "black soil" Dragon as a great pet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back