Which Car...?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Car?

• The Mitsubishi Challenger 4WD

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • The BMW 318i Sports Coupe

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • The Volvo S60 Family Sedan

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Copy and paste from email:
"Currently smaller engined vehivles are selling very quickly, and anything with a bigger engine is like a lead balloon. Most of what we are currently stocking is cars that are fuel efficient. With petrol prices expected to reach $2.50 per litre here, anything with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine, or 3000cc and above is very hard to sell.

The Challenger your looking at is a big car for the family, but not economical, and they are based on the original Challenger chassis of 1995, so an old model. They are not so popular as they are an old model now, and very expensive to run. Resale would be terrible.

My suggestion would be to consider a smaller engined alternative. Half the running costs, and good resale."

Thanks reptile forum car enthusiasts :)

Seems Plausible enough mate from the explanation... as many people are swapping big engines for smaller ones.. A mate of mine has just done that recently from a V6 4WD for the family to a smaller 4 cylinder wagon.. Whether or not he's yanking your chain well.. I don't know? Is the one he's recomending more expensive? Being a reptile enthusiast I think you would get more use out of the 4WD but it would be more expensive to run.. you could always switch it to duel fuel as well.

none of them ....The BM is ok but not the model u wont ..been there done that ..318i suck
The volvo is nice but nothing exciting no bang for your buck ..
The 4wd I would be going toyota ..
But I could pic a million and one cars over them :)
need some fresh ideas..?

none of them ....The BM is ok but not the model u wont ..been there done that ..318i suck
The volvo is nice but nothing exciting no bang for your buck ..
The 4wd I would be going toyota ..
But I could pic a million and one cars over them :)
need some fresh ideas..?

go for it brother... Idea away... Price range is no more than $15,000 (New Zealand dollars - so check NZ sites first).

The Volvo is a surprise - the 2.0L T is a quick car and very comfortable. Plus I am getting my brother to go in and offer $10,500 (NZ) and a warranty... If they accept that I don't think I'd get a better deal anywhere...

However, please pray do tell - give me some good examples...

Remember also - cars in NZ are imported second hand from Japan, Singapore and other Asian countries. They're usually very good cars - but with limited knowledge on history.

Red-Ink - can you switch a diesel to duel fuel???

None of them, and def not the Beemer...seriously underpowered

2.0L? Isn't the 318i a 1.8? I actually drove one of the sports versions of the 318i a few years ago and I was quite surprised by how little power it had. I kept putting my foot down and waiting for something to happen but alas it never did

2.0L? Isn't the 318i a 1.8? I actually drove one of the sports versions of the 318i a few years ago and I was quite surprised by how little power it had. I kept putting my foot down and waiting for something to happen but alas it never did

I said that EXACTLY saximus... So I wrote and asked the dealer - here is their reply:

"The BMW coupe has a 2000cc engine, even though the model is a 318i. All the BMW 318’s from 2002 onwards have the 2000cc engine (just to confuse you)."

So - it has an E46 2.0L naturally aspirated engine - pulling 107kW (less than my VY Acclaim but also half the size)

From a reliability perspective and being someone who works for a motoring organisation.... I say none of them but IF I had to choose one it would be the challenger.... I myself am a toyota person....

challanger or volvo
we had a volvo v70 and dad and i took it off road and it did better then alot of the novice small 4x4s

i also have been looking at the challanger, there is a little bit more room in the challanger to i think

pitty you cant have a cross between them

i would go for the challenger i worked for mitsubishi and they are a good car ,the problem with BMW and volvo is that spare parts and servicing is expensive and alot of places dont have dealers to get them serviced anyway.
see what you think about the mitsubishi range a lot of people find them noisy to drive(tyre noise) but they are reliable.

If I had to choose out of the three it would be the Challenger due to be practical for your family and you may want to consider towing capabilities as well, but I would seriously look at some other options like mentioned earlier as well.

Ok then - what about this:

161317326.jpg

A Nissan Skyline...

Any voters want to change to this one???

the practicality of it all go the challenger, the bmw is tight with 5 in it especially the 2 door and young kids, as for the volvo its the family CAR pick of the lot, however the challenger is more compatible to you lifestyle, mine too lol

Are you moving to NZ with me too Damian? :)

Well, maybe we should go halvsies on the car then - or we could get two!!!!

Your girls might be small now but they will grow therefore bmw is out.
I'd prefer the challenger, purely due to my brother buying a volvo and being a little restricted for parts when it broke down.

It appears the public of APS have spoken - I'm in talks with the missus in regards for the Challenger and may organise a Automobile Association inspection for next week.

I'm going to ask the fellow about the cam belt - because those high k's it would need replacing...

But keep the voting going... :)

I just had the Challenger inspected by the Automobile Association and it's come back with a scathing report...

"Grade 4 - Extreme risk of requiring unplanned maintenance and repair. "

So I think I'll look at the Skyline... That SUX!!! I really loved that Challenger, and it's cost me $150 to get it inspected!!!

Get a Subaru mate!

Which sort? I'm not overly keen on a Subaru - as much as I'd LOVE a WRX Sti - oooooh, yeah... but - I'm still a family guy - and I kinda gotta live like one from time to time... And I'm too young for a midlife crisis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back