Which lights should i buy for my snake tank???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smacktart

Reaction score
Hi my enclosure is getting wired and set up this weekend. I searched on ebay beacuse there is a seller that lives near me and sells ceramic globes 25 through to 100watt would probably get 40w ones which are $30 each link below

Australian Reptiles Ceramic Heat Emitter 40w Brand New - eBay Heat Emitters, Reptiles, Pet Supplies, Home. (end time 05-Jun-09 18:23:23 AEST)

Or there are infrared spot lamps 60 watters at 4 for 32.50 dollars which would obviously be alot cheaper

Infrared spot lamp 60w ~~ X4 ~~ Best Price ~~ - eBay Other Supplies, Reptiles, Pet Supplies, Home. (end time 05-Jun-09 23:33:42 AEST)

Or just run normal 60watt white lights from bunnings normally $4-6 a pot

Im not sure what to use I am assuming the ceramic ones are better i also want the one with the lowest running costs thanks if anyone can help me out

those low wattage reptile one heat lamp uvb fan light all in one and they are 12v so would costless to run plus fan might help air movement in a tank keep me updated:)

When you're looking at costs, don't forget that infrared spot lights can last anywhere from a week to 6 months, whereas a ceramic heater is likely to last more than a year.

It also depends on the type of thermostat you've installed, if you are using a switching thermostat then it will tend to blow globes more quickly.

I buy all my ceramic heaters off those guys, have never had a problem.

Keep in mind that globes will be phased out by the years end, personally, if building a new enclosure I'd look at other options.

Just go to Woolies and buy a couple of 60 watt spot globes. They provide plenty of heat and will last longer then most other heat lamps. Hell of a lot cheaper to.

Do you turn them off at night? Be quite bright wouldn't it?

I have them set on a timer, they shut off at 6pm and then the tanks fall to the night time temp of the lounge room, never falls below 18c.

Sounds good.

There will still be some incadesent lights available and heat lamps will still be available too. Though you wont be able to find 100w BC incadesent globe at coles once the restrictions on incadesent lighting comes in.. Also it has been said that 40w and 20w party lights will still be available to the public... Other than that compact fluro's will be the norm...

I've got a 150watt ceramic in Snakey's 100cm tall x 80cm long x 60cm high enclosure (in summer, I run a 100watt). I prefer ceramics. Good thing about them besides the longer life, is that they don't give off visible light so mine's on 24/7. At night, the 150watt gets a slight red glow at the bottom but that's all the light you get so I have a compact fluoro globe (Phillips 'Ambience' type) for light. The fluoro runs cooler than the other lights.

Hope this helps.

I've got a 150watt ceramic in Snakey's 100cm tall x 80cm long x 60cm high enclosure (in summer, I run a 100watt). I prefer ceramics. Good thing about them besides the longer life, is that they don't give off visible light so mine's on 24/7. At night, the 150watt gets a slight red glow at the bottom but that's all the light you get so I have a compact fluoro globe (Phillips 'Ambience' type) for light. The fluoro runs cooler than the other lights.

Hope this helps.

yeah I keep my ceramic on 24/7 too. She's only a yearling and I'm not going to cool her night temps till next year...

those low wattage reptile one heat lamp uvb fan light all in one and they are 12v so would costless to run plus fan might help air movement in a tank keep me updated:)

Wattage is wattage, reguardless of the voltage. A 5012v lamp cost the same to run as a 50w240v lamp.

yer i know that downlights draw a **** load off electricity and they are only 12v but still draw something like 5 amps i ended up getting 1 ceramic and a infrared lamp i will run both ceramic at the top and infrared lamp in the middle. and then 2 12v downlights at top just for viewing light not to run all time. i also got a dual probe electronic probe thermostat and a humidty one to should go good electricain mate will wire all up this weekend then ill post picks and tell you how its going thanks for all your help....... Oh i also got cages today aswell to protect my snakes (**** they arnt cheap) cbf making them tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back