White Kneed King Cricket & Mantis DUW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Got these two today.

White Kneed King Cricket - Penalva flavocalceata

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Giant Rainforest Mantid - Hierodula majuscula (only a nymph)

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

In this photo she lost the cricket under a stick. She's peering under there to see where it went.

IMG_0130.jpg

Got it!

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Excuse all the photos. Got these guys from www.minibeastwildlife.com.au and would recommend their services to anybody.

Mantids would have to be the only insect I would care to keep, great photo's

Nice pics and animals. Miss my inverts, WA might catch up one day.

Notice on the minibeasts site the advertise L waigiensis with a body length of 200mm? They either cant measure, its a typo or they harvest their breeders from next to a nuclear reactor :lol:

Jordan

Hahaha yeah mate that's a typo.
hallie - I use a Canon Powershot G9. It's new so I'm still a novice at it,
mebebrian - not sure what animal you're referring to mate? The mantid will get much chunkier and about 7cm long. The king cricket as is is about 5-6cm long in the body but those back legs double it's length when it stretches out.

Do you know if they are captive bred or wild caught? I'd love to get some mantids if I could get CB ones. Thanks for the photos.

Food for my geckos

Both these animals are more than capable of eating a gecko. The mantid has a little bit of growing to do though.

dan - The name 'Giant' comes from the fact they are the largest, most heavy bodied of the mantids in Australia.

tsubakai - Both are captive bred.

Those mantids are awesome. Might have to get me some, thanks for the link. (Goliath Stick insects are cool too)

Ive seen the crickets in the wild, they are massive!
Cheers
Adam.

WOW you really are getting into it arent you Phil :D
those are really awesome looking inverts you got there. I had a mantid, I would'nt mind getting myself another, they are awesome critters! I love the way they stalk and hunt thier pray then BAM its all over for that little cricket haha. so you're saying that, that mantis you have there is the largest in Australia? thats pretty cool.. I love the 'leaf' look its got going there with its abdomen, thats a really pretty mantid! I think im going to get me some more Goliath stick insects too come to think of it.. Big inverts rock!
we need 2 catch up, havent spoken in ages!

Nat ;)

I used to breed the Hierodulas, they're quite cool, and my goannas thought so too :)

gillenisayingmmmmhierodula.jpg

Nice crickets too :) I've seen but never kept them. I imagine they'd be pretty neat :) Don't let them bite ;)

If a picture says a thousand words you've just written a few novels! :shock: ;)

dan - The name 'Giant' comes from the fact they are the largest, most heavy bodied of the mantids in Australia..

Oh ok, so they only get to 7cm long, but get quite fat? Is there another species of mantids that get longer but not as fat/heavy?
Iv got some pics somewhere of one I found on my house (not a giant rainforest mantid), was alot longer than 7cm. will try find it.

how much did you pay for both of them if you dont mind me asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back