White Kneed King Cricket & Mantis DUW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there that easy I might buy one, where do you get the critter keepers from though? I'm in QLD so we don't need a license right?

Aslan, the mantid is really dead easy to keep. I have it in a critter keeper big enough to last it until it is an adult (I hope). There's about 3 or 4cm of cocopeat/sand mix on the bottom as a substrate. It doesn't need to be too deep 'cause they don't use it. There's PLENTY of stuff to climb on - a fake plant, some sticks set up in a 'playground' style to give heaps of differing angles. During the day it hangs out on the walls and sticks etc, and during the night it sleeps hanging from the roof.

Spray with water liberally once every two days so the mantis can drink the droplets. Make sure it has good ventilation to stop it going dank in there (critter keeper is good for that). Feed once every two days or so. Hard to restrain yourself but I don't like overfeeding them as I've only had bad experiences. Take out any uneaten food after one day if it lasts that long. Clean out all the scraps if it leaves any.

Set up photos:

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Sweet, will they fight if you had two together? No heat right? They look really neat lol.

No licence needed. Critter keepers from a pet shop.

Thanks for that Phil, you have now put two more species on my to buy list,
the spiney leafs and the rainforest mantis'!

Sweet, will they fight if you had two together? No heat right? They look really neat lol.

One will eat the other. Don't keep them together.

My king cricket just finished munching down a head crushed cricket. Was fascinating to watch. Amazing how their mouthparts work.. just like a robot.

Far out, man! Mine were just kept in a plastic tub and if they were lucky they'd get a twig :lol: You have fancy stuff! Even a fake plant! Wow! I never even thought of using substrate :lol:

Spray with water liberally once every two days so the mantis can drink the droplets.

Feed once every two days or so.

When you say spray with water do you mean like on a wall etc?

Howmuch do they eat? And does it have to be crickets or are woodies just as good?

When you say spray with water do you mean like on a wall etc?

Howmuch do they eat? And does it have to be crickets or are woodies just as good?

You can spray the wall yeah, but I just spray everything, including the mantis. It dries quick because of the ventilation.

They'll eat til they pop. Crickets, woodies, spiders, flies, mealworms, moths, lizards of appropriate sizes. Seen an adult eat an AHG.. You can feed them anything.

You can spray the wall yeah, but I just spray everything, including the mantis. It dries quick because of the ventilation.

They'll eat til they pop. Crickets, woodies, spiders, flies, mealworms, moths, lizards of appropriate sizes. Seen an adult eat an AHG.. You can feed them anything.

Cool :) sounds very easy and looks awesome, i'll be getting one myself! :p

Nice inverts, king crickets make fairly boring captives imo but I love mantids.

Nice inverts, king crickets make fairly boring captives imo but I love mantids.

The king cricket has actually been more active than the mantis. During the day they both just hold still - the mantis waiting for prey. During the night the mantis doesn't move at all and the king cricket cruises all around its tank, pulling leaves and sphagnum moss all around.

Glad to see all the people replying here and PMing me about where to buy the mantids from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back