White Lipped snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4unus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here keep white lipped snakes? I have seen a couple of pics and am interested to find out a little more about them.
can you help

They're awesome snakes, I would be extremely keen to get some except that doing so basically means you're resigning yourself to obtain a lifetime supply of skinks for it. No worries if you live in some areas but in Melbourne it's too tall an order so I'm content to appreciate them in the field from time to time. They're probably Australia's most cold hardy snake (lowland copperhead probably coming in second, yes, both debatable) and I would be surprised if they weren't sensitive to high temperatures in captivity.

Not many people keep them, very rarely I see one or two for sale. I often hear rumours about someone on the Mornington penninsula who breeds them each year and sells the babies at a crazy price. Newborn white lippeds are very small (actually, adults are small!).

If you do get some, please send many pictures and updates frequently! These are one of my favourite snakes and probably my favourite small elapid.

They're probably Australia's most cold hardy snake (lowland copperhead probably coming in second

What about highland copperheads? Both whitelips and highlands can be found above snow line! :D

yes, both debatable

:lol: :wink:

beautiful snakes allright,,heaps around here on the mornington peninsula,,ive had to rescue them when they fall into swimming pools,,lots of different colors,as john says,real hard to keep,,adults have been known to take pinkies,,rarely
where does the black tiger fall in the list of cold hardy snakes?
what is a crazy price for these animals john?

Both are found here.
This is a true story, some wont believe it.
I was in my back yard (that backed onto bushland) at a previous house we owned and a kookaburra dropped a whitelipped snake just near our back door. TRUE STORY. Fortunately it lived and we released it several weeks later.
I ve only ever seen 1 other, we caught that high up on a rocky outcrop on the Newnes Platuea near Lithgow.
Both were under 30cm long.
Very nice little critters, neither tried to bite at all and free handled fine.

heaps of little skinks around my place however wouldn't it be a tad illegal to feed the wild skinks to a captive snake?

What about highland copperheads? Both whitelips and highlands can be found above snow line!

Quote:
yes, both debatable

:lol: idiot! ;) ;) ;)

I actually should have just said 'copperhead', let's not get into a debate involving pygmy copperheads etc etc etc :lol:

heaps of little skinks around my place however wouldn't it be a tad illegal to feed the wild skinks to a captive snake?

In Victoria, yes (thus I said they weren't ideal to keep where I live, which is the reason I don't keep them). In some areas it is easy and legal to obtain feed lizards.

what is a crazy price for these animals john?

I'd only be regurgitating rumours which are likely untrue.

As for the ones I've seen for sale, they've been cheap. I've never seen newborns for sale or even anything I was convinced was captive bred.

wouldn't it be a tad illegal to feed the wild skinks to a captive snake?
Yes, in NSW it is a tad. What you need to ask yourself is "Would NPWS be actively pursuing/prosecuting tads?"

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back