Who has a Jug?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kaotikjezta, the difference between purebred (those that are PAPERED and TESTED) and crossbred dogs is that you know what you're getting with a purebred dog. They generally cost more because the breeder has spent the time and money to get their animals tested for diseases common to that breed. The good breeders will not use breeding stock if the animal is positive for the disease (depending on what it is, of course), and no, a "good" breeder is not particularly difficult to find. Also, to say that crossbred dogs are hardier is just a way for lazy breeders to sell their animals. A crossbred dog cannot BE hardier if the parents have genetic diseases. The difference is that you don't KNOW what you're getting with a crossbred, and I think you'll find plenty of crossbred dogs get sick too. To say a crossbred dog is hardier then a purebred just shows a lack of understanding of genetics and logic. And yes, I realise vets used to say it- but you'll be hard pressed to find one that says it now.

You have to remember that it's easy for some breeders to say their dogs are pure even if they're not. It's also not hard for you to ask them to produce their papers, certificates and ask to see the parents. If a breeder cannot do any one of them, they're likely lying to you ;)

Personally, I think it's better to go to the pound if you're looking for a companion animal, unless you're looking for something specific to your needs or situation.

kaotikjezta, the difference between purebred (those that are PAPERED and TESTED) and crossbred dogs is that you know what you're getting with a purebred dog. They generally cost more because the breeder has spent the time and money to get their animals tested for diseases common to that breed. The good breeders will not use breeding stock if the animal is positive for the disease (depending on what it is, of course), and no, a "good" breeder is not particularly difficult to find. Also, to say that crossbred dogs are hardier is just a way for lazy breeders to sell their animals. A crossbred dog cannot BE hardier if the parents have genetic diseases. The difference is that you don't KNOW what you're getting with a crossbred, and I think you'll find plenty of crossbred dogs get sick too. To say a crossbred dog is hardier then a purebred just shows a lack of understanding of genetics and logic. And yes, I realise vets used to say it- but you'll be hard pressed to find one that says it now.

You have to remember that it's easy for some breeders to say their dogs are pure even if they're not. It's also not hard for you to ask them to produce their papers, certificates and ask to see the parents. If a breeder cannot do any one of them, they're likely lying to you ;)

Personally, I think it's better to go to the pound if you're looking for a companion animal, unless you're looking for something specific to your needs or situation.
pounds are too damned expensive. i'm sorry but its true. $300 for a puppy? that would buy me like 4 new snakes!

lol my males not desexed and yah hes a handful . he flipped me over the other day cause he wanted to chase a fluffy dog he thought was a cat lol , dragged me a good 5 metres before I got my leg around a tree n stopped him lmfao . Hes always mussled but , its law now.

ttry a bull terrier! we had a female weighing 60kg now im 3 times that weight and at full speed she dragged me 500mtrs after knocking me over just so she could rip into a lab then i had to pry her off and take her back home! most vicious dog now some poor bastard has her because of that incident....lest to say my stepmother wasn't worried about the gravel rash i had up hill and down dale, no she was more concerned about the bull terrier

I have had purebred dogs and cats with full papers. They can't test for things that manifest later in life. There is also no way a pug can be claimed to be free of any breathing or eye problems as it is the face shape that causes the problem. You also can't get rid of problems caused by constant inbreeding to get certain looks. I went to have my Devon Rex female bred with a stud at a very expensive Devon Rex breeder with a long list of recommendations and champion cats. Her cats were amazing looking Devons but she had breeders with a certain syndrome Devons carry where they cant hold there heads up. All her cats carried the gene and half her breeding stock had symptoms. Her argument was her Devons were the best type available. I needless to say, refused to leave my cat there.When I bred Manx cats they were on supplementary register so they could be crossed with British shorthairs and Persians to produce Cymrics. The reason being is that breeding Manx to Manx significantly increases the risk of spinal deformities. It was the really big show breeders however, that wanted the complete rumpy Manx kittens that continually ignored the recommendation and bred Manx to Manx. Sorry, but no one can deny that show breeders breed for type and if that means having to put down a few deformed animals or that the animal is going to have breathing problems later in life so be it. Obviously there are certain dogs that should not be crossed and common sense should tell most people what would be an unfortunate cross but I think the real reason that most vets don't say that now is pressure from the desexing lobby and councils, but that's a whole different thread.

say my dog goes on heat and the neighbours dog jumps the fence. so if two different breeds of dogs mate and produce offspring, i would have crossbreed dogs i have to sell. for those against any form of crossbreeding, accidents do happen. do we just put them all down? no, we give them away etc. its a fact of life that it happens, whether deliberately or not, so i dont see how people can be 100% against it.b

Can this thread get back on track please, i wanna see photos! lol not a bitchfest about purebreds. heres the mummy and one of last litters pups.
Roxy:
roxy.jpg

Pup:
roxypup.jpg

say my dog goes on heat and the neighbours dog jumps the fence. so if two different breeds of dogs mate and produce offspring, i would have crossbreed dogs i have to sell. for those against any form of crossbreeding, accidents do happen. do we just put them all down? no, we give them away etc. its a fact of life that it happens, whether deliberately or not, so i dont see how people can be 100% against it.b
and no doubt if they didn't buy their dog with papers, it'll have mixed blood in it.

pounds are too damned expensive. i'm sorry but its true. $300 for a puppy? that would buy me like 4 new snakes!

So you'd be willing to spend that much on reptiles, but not on an animal that's been vaccinated, de-sexed, and has had basic behavioural training?

kao, I don't know a lot about cats, so I won't comment there, but I agree that some of the breeds specific for the showring are disgusting. I specifically prefer breeders that breed for working traits over showing. Showing german shephards aren't very nice =/

shell477, there's absolutely zero reason to not have your dog desexed (going by your scenario), other then sheer laziness. If your dog goes on heat, it's your duty to keep her contained (and no, a simple barkyard isn't usually enough). You can also quite easily abort the puppies. I'd rather abort a litter of puppies then put a bitch through pregnancy and have the puppies grow up in a world where there are thousands of puppies put down each year because someone's too lazy to get their dogs desexed ;)

So you'd be willing to spend that much on reptiles, but not on an animal that's been vaccinated, de-sexed, and has had basic behavioural training?
yup. because i seriously dont support the RSPCA. in my eyes they are quite bad, they put kittens and puppys down if they aren't good looking, and from what I saw when i was doing work exp at a vets, we went to the rspca, they put a tonkinese down for having a UTI, they put a awesome galah (friendly as anything) because it was blind in one eye, and another cat because it had an infected tooth. so i'd rather go to my friend that breeds dogs for a living and get one off her. and down here they dont get training. they just get vaccined, de-sexed and thats all.

and guys your pretty much having a go at a kid for wanting a puppy thats a crossbreed when most people want JAGS, and cross snakes.

and i will deal with it when it gets sick, or maybe it might have a defect, but i wont care, i'll still love it no matter what.

Last edited:
yup. because i seriously dont support the RSPCA. in my eyes they are quite bad, they put kittens and puppys down if they aren't good looking, and from what I saw when i was doing work exp at a vets, we went to the rspca, they put a tonkinese down for having a UTI, they put a awesome galah (friendly as anything) because it was blind in one eye, and another cat because it had an infected tooth. so i'd rather go to my friend that breeds dogs for a living and get one off her. and down here they dont get training. they just get vaccined, de-sexed and thats all.

RSPCA is a business, not a shelter.

Just because you don't want to buy a puppy from the RSPCA, doesn't mean you can't go to an ACTUAL animal shelter and adopt a puppy/dog from them. Using the RSPCA as an excuse does not justify your decision, or anyone's for that matter, to get a designer mongrel. Tell me, is the puppy you're getting going to be vaccinated, de-sexed, and tested for behavioural problems? The fact is, you could be giving a dog another chance at a loving and happy home, but you decide to take on the equivalent of a brand name hand bag, because it's "cute."

There are a lot of animals I want, but I'd always go to an animal shelter before even considering something from a pet store/friend.

i dont have a dog :) it was hypothetical :)

good answer though

the only shelter we have is the RSPCA. and for the bloody billionth time, i'm not getting it because of the breed!! anyway, crystal bugger off, i dont want bitching. people post pics of your dogs :) dont care what breed.

the only shelter we have is the RSPCA. and for the bloody billionth time, i'm not getting it because of the breed!! anyway, crystal bugger off, i dont want bitching. people post pics of your dogs :) dont care what breed.

I will not "bugger off" as you so put it. You have the option of finding a dog shelter or animal welfare league, but can't be bothered because it's easier just to take the free designer mutt. And even if RSPCA is the only shelter in your area, you should be looking at rescuing a dog from death from them first.

But that takes effort.

RSPCA is a business, not a shelter.

Just because you don't want to buy a puppy from the RSPCA, doesn't mean you can't go to an ACTUAL animal shelter and adopt a puppy/dog from them. Using the RSPCA as an excuse does not justify your decision, or anyone's for that matter, to get a designer mongrel. Tell me, is the puppy you're getting going to be vaccinated, de-sexed, and tested for behavioural problems? The fact is, you could be giving a dog another chance at a loving and happy home, but you decide to take on the equivalent of a brand name hand bag, because it's "cute."

There are a lot of animals I want, but I'd always go to an animal shelter before even considering something from a pet store/friend.
If you read her earlier post she said her friend is giving her the dog, GIVING as a gift as she has been having problems and her friend thought she may need a friend to love and to love her. So if she went to a shelter and happened to pick up a Pug x Jack Russell it would somehow cease to be a designer handbag and become a loving companion. If her friend is a dog breeder why wouldn't it be vaccinated and sorry, but desexing a puppy at 8 weeks old is wrong.Also, most shelters idea of testing for behavioral problems is anything from its shy put it down to it growled at me put it down.

If you read her earlier post she said her friend is giving her the dog, GIVING as a gift as she has been having problems and her friend thought she may need a friend to love and to love her. So if she went to a shelter and happened to pick up a Pug x Jack Russell it would somehow cease to be a designer handbag and become a loving companion. If her friend is a dog breeder why wouldn't it be vaccinated and sorry, but desexing a puppy at 8 weeks old is wrong but.
haha thanks! lmao. get lots of chocolate for easter?? :p

I will not "bugger off" as you so put it. You have the option of finding a dog shelter or animal welfare league, but can't be bothered because it's easier just to take the free designer mutt. And even if RSPCA is the only shelter in your area, you should be looking at rescuing a dog from death from them first.

But that takes effort.
damn right it does! and money too. :) which i can spend on desexing my dog at the right age, buying it nice stuff, and not supporting the rspca! :D fine, go away then. i get enough of you people at school. no wonder i have numerous mental things wrong with me. its people like you that cause it.

but desexing a puppy at 8 weeks old is wrong but.
Says who? There's actually very little evidence to say it's detrimental in anyway.

Asharee133, don't expect to get no flak or opinions when you start a thread about designer dogs. It's a very controversial topic xD

Edit: We also know that you have mental issues. You don't need to keep bringing them up. You're special, we got it the first time. =/

Last edited:
Says who? There's actually very little evidence supporting your opinion.

Asharee133, don't expect to get no flak or opinions when you start a thread about designer dogs. It's a very controversial topic xD
but i didn't do it for designer dogs. i did it to see photos of their jugs. (that sounds bad) i didn't even know they were a designer dog

Says who? There's actually very little evidence supporting your opinion.

There are actually heaps and heaps of studies done by universities and vets about the pros and cons of desexing dogs young if you care to look for them.

damn right it does! and money too. :) which i can spend on desexing my dog at the right age, buying it nice stuff, and not supporting the rspca! :D fine, go away then. i get enough of you people at school. no wonder i have numerous mental things wrong with me. its people like you that cause it.

For $250 a dog comes de-sexed, vaccinated, and tested for temperament issues, $250 that will buy another dog a few more days to be adopted. Also, I get that you have mental problems. No need to keep repeating it.

Kao, my point extends to "receiving" a dog as well; she could just as easily say no and go find a dog that needs a new home, instead of being "gifted" a dog that'll find a new home in two weeks tops.

Edit: yeah, this is boring. To sum it up, you're selfish. Enjoy.

but i didn't do it for designer dogs. i did it to see photos of their jugs. (that sounds bad) i didn't even know they were a designer dog

I agree xD

kaotikjezta, I have looked at them. I still see nothing detrimental for a pet dog by desexing at a very young age. If you have a better article or anything, I've love to read it =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back