Who keeps gillens monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ben1200

Reaction score
Just after people who keep gillens monitors as im after some, also any info woul be much appreciated.
Cheers
Ben

i got 1 and i was thinking bout getting another 1 too but i think i'll have to wait till later down the track...

top little monitors...

im' not an expert but i may be able to help with info..

It's the wrong time of year to be looking for juveniles as all the good ones will be sold, but you may find adults if you keep your eyes peeled and an ear to the ground. I breed these and have had a fair few people asking about them lately (I just realised a couple of days ago that some 'wonderful' person decided to copy an old ad of mine and stick it in Reptiles Australia without me knowing :roll: I'm not sure who it was and am not even sure if they knew I'd already sold out :roll: sounds a bit like a fuzzy kwumpledump scam! :lol: ) but won't have any available until late November at the earliest.

I published an article on Varanus gilleni in Monitor last year, you can get a copy of the issue from the VHS if you like. I've also written a care sheet which you can get a copy of from www.vhs.com.au

Good luck finding some, they're great lizards, loaded with character and I'm sure you'll love them :)

is your name john?

hehe thats funny cos i saw that add and actually inquired about the goannas...

you found one for me but the woman selling it was not able to freight it...

if i got one later this year, how long until i could house it with my existing one from last years clutches?

thanks, reed.

Yes, that's me :) Looks like you're one of the people I was talking about ;)

I saw that ad just after I read your email, I had no idea whose it was, sorry it didn't work out. As I think I told you, all the breeders I know sold out some time ago now but if something comes up I'll let you know. If you're after hatchlings at this point I recommend waiting for next season.

How long depends on how quickly you grow them. I've seen two year olds which weren't much bigger than hatchlings (including a fair few which have sat around for over a year in pet shops in very poor conditions, still with huge price tags attached of course) and at the other extreme they can grow to near full size in 8-10 months, or less according to some. I have personally bred them at less than 12 months of age. My first clutch of gilleni eggs came from an 11 month old female. You can get away with a bit more when keeping Gillen's monitors than with many other species of small monitors. Gilleni are not prone to fighting so unless they're small enough to be swallowed whole you shouldn't have a problem, and even then you could probably get away with it (no, to those who are about to scream at me, I'm not suggesting you do it, just telling it as it is). They're much unlike things such as ackies which will kill same sized (or even larger) conspecifics quite readily.

I suppose that's all a very long winded way of saying probably about "6-12 months as long as you feed them well, or less if the larger one hasn't grown as quickly as it could".

hey sdaji i read the care sheet and it was a nice read. are they handlable animals or more of a watch it do what it dose type animal? seem like interesing pets,

andrew

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew.

I rarely handle any of my animals and my gilleni are not what I'd call great handlers. None of mine have ever shown the slightest sign of agression towards anything other than food and they'll happy run up and take food from your fingers, but they don't like to be held and will only reluctantly let you pat them. I've heard a few people say they have very tame ones which have been handled a lot since they were hatchlings and will sit on your shoulder etc like a bearded dragon, but I haven't seen it first hand. If you want a lizard to handle, you can't go passed bearded dragons and blue tongues. If you want a lizard with personality, your choice would have to be some species of goanna (if you want something cute, you'd probably have to go for a gecko :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back