who's got shinglebacks?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noni

Reaction score
hey all, just wondering what your opinions are of shinglebacks?

i think they're gorgeous and am considering getting two. my fiance and i had originally been researching beardies however i don't really need another high-energy member of the household! shinglebacks seem a bit calmer and more laid back due to their build as much as their temperament, although i'm sure they require just as much work and feeding etc.

any thoughts / suggestions?

cheers :)

Shinglebacks are great lizards, very laid back and love attention. If given the chance they will sleep just about all day long, but then agian if you get them out on the floor they will cruise around the house as well (just no were near as fast as a beardie) you can pretty much gaurantee you can put them on the floor, and go do something come back and they will not be far. They love nothing more than a good head scratch, I feed mine by hand there that gentle, and very affectionate. Yes they are just as much work as any other lizard in cleaning and feeding. Hope that helps. All round they are a great lizard, IMO better than a blue tongue in looks and not as active as a beardie which will keep you on your toes :)

cheers chris, i did have a quick scan through that thread.

i'd be a little worried about humidity in summer, but i suppose it's nowhere near as bad in the west as it is in some places - i used to live in noosa and you'd basically get out of the shower and be covered in sweat again - ew

would they generally be happier in an outdoor enclosure? we're thinking about building a big pond area with lots of native grasses and things and it wouldn't be too hard to add a little fence around the perimeter for a shingleback.

and thanks allana, yep they seem pretty laid back ;) looking for something 'robust' as well as we're planning on having a baby soon and something that can be handled without too much trouble by a young child would be great (not by a baby, in a few years, you know what i mean)

:)

what size enclosure would suit a SB?

pretty sure this is going to be my next pet. (or a beardie)

its not recomended to keep shingles outdoors in coastal areas, they are prone to RI, eye infections etc. best kept indoors for most.

when i was a kid my dad bought home a stumpy, he put it on the ground and let it go. It was great. It was nowhere to be seen during winter and always out for a pat during summer. He would only go to the toilet in the bathroom, laundry or toilet and went and scratched the fridge door when he was hungry. he rocked! But my idiot brother left the door open one day and poor old stumpy hasn't been seen since.

its not recomended to keep shingles outdoors in coastal areas, they are prone to RI, eye infections etc. best kept indoors for most.

Shinglebacks are often found living in coastal areas, even in the dunes adjacent to the beach, the only issue is humidity which they dont handle well and leads to RI's etc. If you keep them in an outside enclosure with good drainage and plants which "absorb" the moisture in the air (grasses etc.) then an outside enclosure is more than suitable for a shingleback.

The issue with the outdoor enclosure you've planned is the pond adding to the humidity of the enclosure, which should be combatted by the grasses you plan to plant. They aren't the best swimmers however, so if the fell into the pond they may not make their way back out again.

sand would probably be the best thing to use keeping outdoors

Shinglebacks are nice lizards but have issues when trying to keep their urine in the body.

The species is found in just about any environment.

Shinglebacks are nice lizards but have issues when trying to keep their urine in the body.

The species is found in just about any environment.

lol minus swamp, marsh, forests, jungles, rainforests, oceans, streams, lakes etc...LOL They are found naturally in arid environments, in qld west of the great dividing range

huh, lol, They are actually found in Forests DSFs.

It only takes abit of sense to realise I didnt mean Aquatic environments.

i wouldnt call the areas they are found in forest, arid woodlands they would be found in tho.

lol minus swamp, marsh, forests, jungles, rainforests, oceans, streams, lakes etc...LOL They are found naturally in arid environments, in qld west of the great dividing range

In SA they can be found in most habitats types including the Coorong, (salt water wetland system at the mouth of the Murray river), throughout the Riverland which includes swamps and wetlands, the Mid North which is mainly Mallee scrub, alond the majority of the SA coastline, throughout the Adelaide Hills (Sclerophyll Eucalypt forest) and also metropolitan Adelaide. They are found naturally in many environments, not just in arid.

The problem they have in Queensland is they cannot cope with the humidity associated with similar habitat types compared to SA.

I have a pair and are hoping they breed this coming season.

wow never knew that, how do they cope with humidity in the wetlands?

LOL Chanty,
I ahve previously kept the species with lots of success. They are ravenous feeders and like said, are Great 'Pet' Skinks. Once raised and happy, will never bluff or bite.

As well, as you probably know, they will start a sort of 'Marriage' with that of the opposite sex. One will only leave their partner and go in search of a new mate if one dies.

Good luck getting your group/ colony!

wow never knew that, how do they cope with humidity in the wetlands?

They are only active during the warmer parts of the year, and since SA has hot DRY summers, there's no great amount of humidty. Due to this, the wetlands only really increase the humidity level directly above the body of water. Also, the shinglebacks tend to stay away from the water, sticking to the drier ground. I'm sure someone else would be able to explain it better than me, but yeah, thats the basics.

The shinglebacks would love it out your way Shaun, I saw plenty crossing the roads in the mornings on my way out to roseworthy for uni in the warmer months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back