why are super rats so hard to buy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just sold my quails for that reason, i got sick of incubating the eggs, turning them etc. We decided to pull down the aviary, so the quails were moved on.

Incubation is so easy as long as you have an automatic egg turner lol, I have 3 banks of quails here and I much prefer them over the rats i used to keep.

did you have jap quails?

Why bother with rats they are so last month!!!

Quails baby!! definately the way to go, full grown within 6 weeks of age, females lay up too 300 eggs per year which if you have 3 females to one male thats 900 eggs per year, now not all of them are going to be fertile but you could expect about 700 birds from that. Only thing thats majorly different is incubation.

Quails are so two hours ago. Super quails are all the rage right now, but don't bother getting any or you'll have missed the boat; super dooper quails will be tomorrow's fad, followed by mega-ultra-resplendant quails, then on Wednesday afternoon we're starting the feed monkey trials.

Why bother with rats they are so last month!!!

Quails baby!! definately the way to go, full grown within 6 weeks of age, females lay up too 300 eggs per year which if you have 3 females to one male thats 900 eggs per year, now not all of them are going to be fertile but you could expect about 700 birds from that. Only thing thats majorly different is incubation.

300 eggs a year per female, sounds like a fishermans count!

could try this link I don't know ether they sell to public
www.adelaide.edu.au/animal_services/products/price-productshtm

they sell all types of lab rats the so called "super rat" is a breed called Zucker which have faulty leptin receptors which causes the rat not to know when they are full therefore they eat non stop causing obesity I think there is a mis-understanding am not quite sure which breed are producing the large litters hope this helps

how do you get a super rat? I hate them as a aniamal! why dont you just go down to your local petshop ask who they get there rats from and go talk to him or her, and see if you can buy some to breed or work out a special deal with them!

how do you get a super rat? I hate them as a aniamal! why dont you just go down to your local petshop ask who they get there rats from and go talk to him or her, and see if you can buy some to breed or work out a special deal with them!

Cant see to many pet shop owners giving details of who they get stock from ...would be kinda silly thing to do .

Yes, and they have a big 'S' on their chest, it makes them easier to tell apart from normal rats.
Super Dooper rats have a big 'BS' on their chests. :lol:
I thought only the owners of the super dooper rats had BS on their shirts...........:lol:

i had a few super rats once

found them just too much of a hassle i mean every time i opened the enclosure for feeding they would all start flying around, try catch a sneaky flying rat, and who needs rats that can jump a 6 tub rack in a single bound and try catch a run away once it gets upto locamotive speed sheeeeesh

if you can get ya hands on some krytonite you might have better luck with them

I see you live in the S/W Sydney area. I can give you the number of our rat breeder for work. Just don't tell the lady where you got the number from because if my boss finds out ill be gone lol. She lives at Ambarvale.

could try this link I don't know ether they sell to public
www.adelaide.edu.au/animal_services/products/price-productshtm

they sell all types of lab rats the so called "super rat" is a breed called Zucker which have faulty leptin receptors which causes the rat not to know when they are full therefore they eat non stop causing obesity I think there is a mis-understanding am not quite sure which breed are producing the large litters hope this helps

Zucker rats are the opposite of super rats (not that there is actually such a thing as a 'super rat' anyway). Zucker rats are deliberately bred because they are sickly and can be used in medical research. You'd never in a pink fit want to breed them as reptile food.

Someone decided to sell some prolific mice as 'supermice' to make some extra money. Other people saw the marketting power of such a name and decided to cash in (amusingly they probably didn't make more than about $50 out of it anyway :lol: ), so now lots of different lines of mice get called supermice, and in a nutshell, they're not really the amazing creatures people hope for them to be. If they were, if there was a supermouse which was so much better, none of us would bother with anything else. Having said that, there are some very prolific mice which under the right conditions will average close to 20 babies per litter. Outside stable laboratory conditions you're often better off with 'normal' mice anyway. Many lines of lab mice and rats do very poorly if temperatures fluctuate much outside of standard laboratory conditions. Some lab strains also have poor immune systems which don't cope well outside a sterile laboratory environment.

People sometimes talk about 'super rats' because hey, if there are super mice there must be super rats too, right? There are hundreds of different lines of lab rats and mice. If any rat was going to be called a super rat it would probably be the Wistar, these grow huge, they grow quickly, they have lots of babies, which sounds great, but they're very fatty and probably not too good for your reptiles. About 10 years ago I had someone supplying me with these things, they were averaging almost a kg each and well over a kg wasn't unusual. My Carpets grew huge on those things! :lol:

My rats produce about 15 babies per litter on average, they have litters often and they do it in a range of temperatures. They have excellent immune systems and I'm very happy with them. They're not lab rats and I wouldn't want lab rats. We also have a range of colours, patterns and coat types in our rats, which keeps us amused :lol:

My mice are pretty good, but I'm not quite satisfied with them. I have three different lines, but I think I can do better than any of them. Our best mice produce litters very frequently, our largest litters are close to 20, but they're not consistent.

There are countless lines of rats and mice, don't be fooled into thinking there is one particular line of 'super rat' which is universally better for everyone in all situations and for all applications. Get rats from different sources, try them out and when you find a line which works for you, stick to it.

Alternatively...

/me jumps on the bandwagon...

I have these fully sick, totally awesome, revolutionary super dooper rats. $50 each, you'll be able to get incredible results from them and save yourself heaps of time and money. Wow! You'd be a fool to miss out, nay, a perverted, unethical, sex-offending fool with bad taste in clothes, cars and wine. You don't want that, do you? Of course you don't, so send your money over!

/me jumps off the bandwagon.

(for many, sarcasm seems impossible to detect, and even with this disclaimer I'll be accused of trying to rip people off, but for what it's worth, I'm joking, really).

i had a few super rats once

found them just too much of a hassle i mean every time i opened the enclosure for feeding they would all start flying around, try catch a sneaky flying rat, and who needs rats that can jump a 6 tub rack in a single bound and try catch a run away once it gets upto locamotive speed sheeeeesh

if you can get ya hands on some krytonite you might have better luck with them

That's my sting, snakecharma. Once he has bought some of my super rats at a horribly high price, he'll realise he needs the rattykryptonite and I'll sell that to him at an even more horribly high price!

That's my sting, snakecharma. Once he has bought some of my super rats at a horribly high price, he'll realise he needs the rattykryptonite and I'll sell that to him at an even more horribly high price!

aaaaahahahahhahaha

so thats your plan for ratty world domination sdaji who knows i may have to under cut ya by a few $$ and get a piece of the action for myself lol

aaaaahahahahhahaha

so thats your plan for ratty world domination sdaji who knows i may have to under cut ya by a few $$ and get a piece of the action for myself lol

I'm one step ahead of you, I have super quails which are trained to fly in and steal other peoples' ratty kryptonite, then deliver it to me. I'll unleash them the very moment you put the ad up, in fact, my super geckoes are trained to watch for such ads and release the super quails for me.

Can a mere mortal reptile digest these super rats? And how would you go about culling these rodents? Obviously thay will stand up to more then a blow to the head!
All my breeding rodent colonies started life as pet shop animals, And occasionly I still need to source a new male from time to time to freshen new blood into my colonies. I would not call my colonies "prolific breeders", however I breed more then my needs and the animals are healthy and litters are manageable and grow quickly. The bigger the litters the slower the pups will develop (alas there are only so many teats to a rat).

ahhhhhh i see you have played forky spooney before well my new line of super woma's cant wait to meet your super quails in fact they are licking there lips at the very suggestion. And as far as the super geckoes go they wont get past the front door as the will have no power over my 'hypo toad'

and if you really want to push this sdaji i will release my brand new 'minx' virus on your mouse population, what ya gonna do with no tales :)

ahhhhhh i see you have played forky spooney before well my new line of super woma's cant wait to meet your super quails in fact they are licking there lips at the very suggestion. And as far as the super geckoes go they wont get past the front door as the will have no power over my 'hypo toad'

and if you really want to push this sdaji i will release my brand new 'minx' virus on your mouse population, what ya gonna do with no tales :)

Damn you, snakecharma! You've foiled my plans this time, but I'll get you, my pretty, if it's the last thing I ever do!

*shakes fist in the air while sporting angry facial expression*

/me goes back to work in the snake cave, concocting a new, even more diabolical plan

/me sits back in my hollowed out volcano lair with a super woma around his neck and awaits the next installment

tune in next week lol

... snip bunch of really interesting stuff...

Thanks! I was wondering why they were called "super rats"!

Also I think $50 is far too cheap for some cape-wearing heroic Miss Mousie-in-Distress-saving rats! Don't short-sell yourself here! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back