Why geckos?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kupper

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

with the recent popularity of geckos it has dawned on me to ask a question

why Geckos?

surely something so tiny cannot be pleasurable to keep or breed? and something so tiny cant be classified as a pet can it?

I am pretty sure you all know my answer to the above but why not share why you have chosen geckos to be part of your Hobby of anything else?

cheers
KUPPER

They are such facinating creature's that have there own unique traits and the wide rage of colours, sizes etc. Such low heating lighting requirements low food cost's simple cageing requirements. Do i need to continue

They are relatively small so i can keep many in a limited space, they are active when im at home (at night), i dont have to feed them fresh fruits and veges, they are more active and have more personality than my pythons, there is heaps of variety available and my missus isn`t scared of them.

surely something so tiny cannot be pleasurable to keep or breed? and something so tiny cant be classified as a pet can it?

Small but cute and funny personalities :)

Haha havnt owned one yet but is on the list =) There awesome little critters

awesome colours, more fun to look at then snakes, no nasty bites, no venom, simple to look after, little space needed.... etc. etc.

a thicktail at my local petstore is what caught my attention till then i had no interest in them or any other reptile. Im now totally obsessed with them, they are definitely interesting, relatively easy to keep and feed .Though i wish i could have forseen my addiction as i might have planned my setups differently .

They are a unique form of reptile, large eyes that many people are amazed by, come in various eye catching patterns ect... also for the ladies.... they are not snakes!

Rough Knobies - Because they remind me of mini dragons.. I just want to squeeze them so they puff fire
Smooth Knobies - Their love heart shaped tail is sooo cute and their hunting style reminds me of a cat when they pounce.

Because I can feed them to my Tree Snakes...
Not really hahaha
Because there little hunters whilst being cute at the same time haha.

Now my input ;)

Color variation in anything has always sucked me in blame my obsessive compulsive disorder :lol:

Really my questions came about when a family member questioned my motives for keeping them

After 15 years of keeping reptiles there has never been something that has hooked me as badly as these critters have

Ease of keeping cuteness or variation whatever your reason just prepare to have to buy more as one is never enough ;)

I dont own any yet but hope to soon i find them so cute there variety of colours and there big eyes

They are cute as. Unique.

Fun to watch with the tail wiggling, and the run and pounce on the crickets at mealtimes.
Watching them lick the water from themselves after spraying.
The colours and patterns really come out nicely after a shed....

So much easier to feed than Beardies etc.

I like the pythons as well, but there is something about these little guys that really grab me :lol:

The little guy in the photo attached was only a couple of days old when pic was taken (through the tub which is why it looks cloudy)

I think he looks like a little dog sitting outside his kennel :lol:

Attachments

• 23928.jpg
    23928.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back