Why not Woma's on a class 1?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemart

Reaction score
Does anyone here know the reasoning behind the NSW NPWS class 1/2 restrictions for Woma's? BHP's are available for class 1's... but why not Woma's? Kind of dissapointing really as I haven't held my license for two consecutive years (I've had breaks in between)..

Cheers,
Peter.

it was done sometime ago in vic because the woma wasn't widly avaible.i can only assume it was the same reason in n.s.w.

I agree that some species need to be looked at and maybe changed into different areas.

interesting, and dissapointing.

Last years returns (NSW) showed an increase of 73.53% in captive Woma's in NSW. If this rate of growth is maintained it would be fair to estimate a minimum of 716 Woma's in captivity (NSW) for 05/06. Keep in mind this is not including the increase in licensees or movements from class1 to class 2 licenses for 05/06 which I would assume to have an even greater effect on the captive numbers.

716 Woma's in captivity will be a greater number than the current amount of BHP's on hand in NSW (679 for 04/05), and considering their husbandry requirements are not all that much more difficult than BHP's, it would be fair to say that there is an issue here in the class 1/2 regulation.

I wonder if you can get an exemption?

tell ya what reptilemart. you can buy one on my liscense and keep it at my place. I'll look after it for ya :wink:

ill tell u somethin but dont tell no 1.......
as taken from the paper work must be over 18 with at least 2 yrs experiance keeping reptiles says notihing abt consecutive

good point and it is something I have considered but not taken up with NPWS. I might give it a go when the funds (and other half) are more likely to accept some Woma's. Thanks for the input.

if they drop womas to class 1 the price will go up just like when BHP drop to class 1, they were $600 - 800 when they were class 3 . then when they went to class 1 they jumped to $1200 - 1500

re Why

Reptilemart you need to write a letter and submitt it at the same time you eturn your book to NSW dept of enviro cons which is in april,if they receive sufficient requests with reasons for a downgrade they might change womas to class 1.When they were fiest placed on class 2 there wasnt many in captivity and now there is plenty,if the mary river turtle can make class 1 because there is supposed to be quite a few in captive hands womas will romp it in. :)

my understanding is that womas were considered by the native animal committee to be hard to keep and breed, thus put on class 2. despite this not really being the case. also the didn't seem to take into account the fact that in the wild womas eat mammals and blackheads primarily eat reptiles. go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back