Wiki

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is an APS wiki a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Tuesday!

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Administrator

What are people thoughts of starting a wiki?

I know that there are complaints that the same newbie questions always get repeated. Perhaps having something that everyone could contribute a little to would be good. We could move all our care sheets and feature articles there and they could be dynamically maintained.

Thoughts?

Basically, it's a place where you keep information (in the form of linked articles) but anyone can edit anything. Look at www.wikipedia.org for an example - that's a general one but our's would be specific to herps.

I always wondered why www.wikipedia.org always has such obscure and sometimes dodgy info on it.

Anyway its sounds like a good idea.

but anyone can edit anything.

this would be of concern as you need info from people who know as in been there done that, tried and true - not just bob from down the road.

other than that the idea is great

I guess that's the beauty of it. While some people might be "smart" and put in bad information, those who know better can quickly fix it up. Also, it will be open only to members and we'll be able to track who edited what.

but as we have seen many that have only been in the 'hobby ' for a short time are instant experts, this is like the blind leading the blind and ends up dangerous both for the animals and the hobby.
some how the info needs to be credited.

If genuinely experienced people who are members of this site frequent the pages then it should probably be capable of governing itself as incorrect information can be edited by these experienced herpers...

I would say yes, however it should be read/updated by someone who knows what they are talking about to weed out all of the........ (stuff that some more inexperinced people write).

But I've been there done that tried and true and I'm a Bob! Give Bob's break or I'll throw a krabbie patty at you!
but anyone can edit anything.

this would be of concern as you need info from people who know as in been there done that, tried and true - not just bob from down the road.

other than that the idea is great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back