Wild cat is pot luck for hunters and collectors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like we shall be eating well on out western qld trip. Not only do cats make good snake food but they can replace the sunday roast:p

years ago i was given stir fry which supposed to be beef and it was turtle so if anyone ever deceives a person into eating something which is not a designated food group is appalling and deceitful. and to be tricked into eating feline is disgusting i hate ferals so a quick death is a good death. happy dining debbie

Dice and coxy are right, although buffalo have been largely reduced in numbers by an intensive shooting program (Semiautos from Helicopters, sounds like fun). We have more of the particular camel sp (forget which one is present in aus, anybody?) than is found within its natural home range.

If i had a chance, i'd eat a cat. Infact, i would eat any animal if it were on a menu.

*Prepares to make a "noahs ark" sandwich. Two of every animal!*

LOL, yeah, but I mean scientific name. I went to boulia for research about 4 months ago, saw some really large herds there, and the odd roadkilled one. Must be a bummer to hit a full grown camel :(

My avatar was taken on the Boulia trip, just for interests sake...

Last edited:
Dice and coxy are right, although buffalo have been largely reduced in numbers by an intensive shooting program (Semiautos from Helicopters, sounds like fun). We have more of the particular camel sp (forget which one is present in aus, anybody?) than is found within its natural home range.
Camelus dromedarius

That is the species of Camel we have. They were introduced by the afghans i believe some time in the 1800's as beasts of burden for trading transport purposes.

Last edited:
LOL, yeah, but I mean scientific name. I went to boulia for research about 4 months ago, saw some really large herds there, and the odd roadkilled one. Must be a bummer to hit a full grown camel :(

My avatar was taken on the Boulia trip, just for interests sake...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............. i just read the road kil comment and had the FUNNIEST mental image.......i'm guessing it would have had to be a b-double or road train that hit it. Hitting a camel in a car would **** you up to no end.... i mean a wombat does enought damage, let alone a camel.

Australia has the biggest population of wild camels in the world,I knew we had them but not that many.Just another useless fact,Craig:)
Actually australia is the ONLY country with wild dromedary camels (one humper).......so i guess we have the biggest wild population by default, lol. We also export them back to the middle east where they came native from.

feral cats have evolved into a giant breed that eats native wildlife at an massive rate and breed faster than rabbits. massive culls should be endorsed, and waste such a huge resource?? it as dog food, or ship it to countries that eat the meat. i like cats too, but i couldn't eat a whole one lol.

Last edited:
The giant feral cat thing is a bit of a myth. They get big and fat alright, especially in rabbit country, but are the same animal as our domestics. I've seen ( and shot them haha ) in the most remote places in most states while bowhunting. Out there they seem to be mostly tabby coloured. I'm guessing that's because they are many generations wild and the genetic mix has diluted the domestic colours back to their near wild colour????
If you are a reptile lover then you are either a feral cat hater or a hypocrit :lol:

Actually australia is the ONLY country with wild dromedary camels (one humper).......so i guess we have the biggest wild population by default, lol. We also export them back to the middle east where they came native from.

They are welcome to them. I tried camel once at the revolving restaurant at the top of the Sydney tower. It was badly over cooked which was a shame. I would love to open a restaurant that specialized in interesting and environmentally sensible meats.

Your quote reminds me of the wallabies that went feral when introduced to New Zealand while they went extinct in in Australia. We imported them back and the Kiwis irradiated them - a true win win situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back