Wild Red Belly help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa5

Reaction score
My sister lives at Engadine and was recently horrified when she walked outside onto her verandah to discover a large red belly basking in the sun, who then proceeded to climb onto her clothes horse (it would be funny if she wasn't so scared of snakes :)). There was a ladder leaning up on the wall and a vine (which has now been clipped), that she thinks the snake could have climbed up. She has seen them before and has a large rocky ledge down the back of her yard where they would probably breed, so I don't think relocation of the snakes is an option.Thing is she has a one year old, another on the way and two dogs and is scared of them being in the back yard. I told her that red bellies are usually a shy snake, so would most likely want to avoid her too, so to inspect the yard carefully first and make a fair bit of noise before going outside with the dogs. The grass is kept short and she has removed pot plants. Any other suggestions?

Maybe make hawk/eagle silhouttes and hang them up. Kind of like putting rubber snakes in the garden to keep birds out, but in reverse,

Thanks mad4400, didn't think of that one, will let her know.

If she's scared she could ring a snake cacther or the relevant wildlife person,
hawk silhouttes wont work,
I picked up a tiger snake from right under one last
year in the beer garden of the Portsea Hotel.
They dont even work on the seagulls.
Also, rubber snakes inthe garden dont really svare birds either.
She could make an enclosure for the kid and dog and make that snakeproof with shade cloth ect.
She could take a photo and appreciate how privelaged she is to be visited by one of the most beautiful critters around.
She could use it as an opportunity to educate the kid and show him not to touchbut just observe them.
And she can train the dog not to attack native animals by using an electric pulste training collar....

a very common scenario, you have given her good advice,she will see snakes from time to time regardless,black snakes dont usually have a permanent home ie just hang in your back yard only.
She can call us at ydney snake catchers if it really becomes a problem,but having you as a sister who has knowledge on snakes is going to help her alot.Reassure her the black snake will not attack her baby lol,
i cant guarantee her dogs wont attack a black snake though,but like ive said before all she can really do is train her dog to not attack wildlife.
Other than that options are limited,but people can learn to be tolerant of snakes as we all know as reptile fanciers,they are beautiful creatures who love to mind there own busnuiss

oh baz got in before me,thats ok i just reflecting the same message he has:D

Thanks for the help. I used to see them all the time when I lived in down the coast and they didn't bother me. But she is very afraid of all snakes- we even joked with her saying "trust you to skip the pythons and go straight to venomous", but she didn't find it amusing. They are beautiful creatures who are largely misunderstood.

I have to agree with the other catchers. Unfortunately living close to the bush where you are means the odd venomous snake. Being aware of them and teaching your child that a snake is not to be approached and to tell mum and dad is the best option. My experience with the RBB is they, like most snakes, tend to want to run away when spooked. The veranda must have been a nice sunny spot to warm his bones!

I will add one point to the other comments and that is to have a first aid kit with a couple of large bandages that can be used as a compression bandage if needed. She should also do a first aid course and make sure she knows how to apply a compression bandage. This being said she is far more likely to need to use the first aid kit for an accident in the home than for a snake bite. First aid is a valuable skill because if you ever need to use it the chances are it will be on a family member or a friend.

If the beautiful creature hangs around and you require it moved on then please contact a licensed professional and not just someone who thinks they know snakes. Obviously never try to catch or kill it as that's how you get bitten, not to mention the legality of it.

There are a couple local sydney catchers however if you can't find one feel free to look one up at Snake Catchers :: Snake Removal Services a national list of licensed snake catchers.

Oh, and as mentioned get a few photos from a distance print them out and hand them on the wall. An RBB in good condition is a spectacular snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back