Will GTF's eat fish.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisreptile

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i now have 6 adult green tree frogs and was wandering if they would be able to eat the fish i'll eventually put in there. can they catch them?
i was thinking of starting with neon tetra's and if they survive i'll add some more.
is this a good idea?

I think the fish would survive if they had enough water.
I was actually going to start a thread to see if its ok to feed fish to frogs, i figured it would give them a good boost but i havnt heard of it being done before.
So is it a good idea to feed frogs fish?

ive got plenty of water, i was hoping that frogs are to clumsy and wont hunt the fish down.
i think it would be alright for frogs to eat fish, maybe occasionally.

They will eat fish, though small tetra's they won't bother with, though it would be very hard to keep the water quality good enough for them to live with the frogs.

I used to feed my Green Tree-frogs small fish, and many people do. If you have them swimming around in a large amount of water you'll probably never have them gobbled up, but be prepared for the possibility. Of course, as Jason indicates, the greater probability is that they'll have a high mortality rate due to the poor water quality which the frogs are likely to create.

I keep convicts in with my GTF's and have no problems with mortality from the water condition or the frogs. I do keep 2 very small filters running in the water and have plenty of things the fish can hide in, however they are doing just fine.

Convicts are among the easiest fish to keep alive - all you need to do is keep them wet! (For that reason, they're the lab rat of the fish world :) ). Neon Tetras are far more sensitive and a lot more prone to dropping dead.

Guys tetras are not that hard to keep alive.

Geesh there pretty easy once the water is right.

pH - 6.5-6-8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Temperature - 26-28 degree celcius.

Make sure the water is kept stable and and the temperature can't fluctuate. A heater is definantly needed. You have to make sure your water is soft too. Once you have the water good intially you shouldn't have a problem. ;)

And plus @ $1.50 - $2 a pop (for neons) i wouldn't mind if the frogs ate one or two a few times a year. You would be getting your moneys worth seeing the stunning contrast between the two (Green Tree frongs and Neons).

Sam

Neon Tetra's are not a native fish, they may be bred in Australia, but are not native!!

Sorry, was this directed at me? :?

I'm not sure why if it is. I know neons are not native to Australia. They occur in the wild in the amazon river tributaries.

Just because they are not native doesnt mean they can't be kept with GTF's. I would think a Saratoga, Grunter and Barra along with other numerous native fish would rip a GTF apart. Unless GTF's need access to akaline water there should be no problem keeping non native fish with the frogs. I should also add apart from the addition of a heater for neon tetras you would also need a reliable filtter on the tank. ;)

the water is stable at about 27.3, and i have an internal fluval filter in it too.
i would like something that brightens up the water and is fairly hardy.

IMO you should go for swordtails, they breed really well(live bearers), they can have really nice colours(virtually unlimited variations) and can live in almost any water very hardy fish. They also eat algae and other vegetation so they wont starve if you dont feed them all the time.

They pump out heaps of young so you would only need to buy a pair or trio and you are set. They would also be a good size to feed to your frogs occasionally.

ok, thanks for that cris.
i actually work at an aquarium, but i was wandering what all of you's thought.
i might have a good look at the swordy's.

Hi guys,
I have kept goldfish and blackmores and the fighting fish in with my adult green tree frogs over the years. I have NEVER lost a fish to the frogs....only to dirty water (and the bloody fighting fishy attacking my goldfish...yeah ...yeah ...yeah...I should have known). Anyway, I quite like keeping frogs and fish.

Also....I agree with the early discussion on tetras. They are cool little fish, but when I do a FULL tank clean and take out the rocks, I always seemed to loose a few tetras!!!

I have found the fighting fish can adapt to the dirty water quite well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back