Winter Resting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella

Reaction score
Just wondering, should I bother snakie at all during winter? I haven't cooled him down too much yet but he's been in his hide for about a week, stopped coming out at night and all. Can I poke him too make sure he's still alive? Or should I just wait until spring? What do u all do?

:?

LOL. Do you like people waking you up?
I just leave mine be and make sure they have water. That's it.
It's the boring time of year.

Will i notice my little Bredli hatchling spending a lot more time in his hide or is this only the case with older snakes?

Regards Ether

Unless you drop the ambient temperature, he will still be active and eating through winter.
Snakes are secretive creatures though and can spend long periods in their hides.

That's interesting, Greebs. I'd heard (and somewhat observed) that some snakes will go into "winter mode" if they have a clear view of the outside light..... Doesn't always apply, but my diamond went off her food for a couple of months over winter last year, despite the fact that I hadn't turned down the temps in her enclosure.......

... just an observation, for what it's worth...

....another observation.. older snakes seem to have a built in timer, go into winter mode anyway, might be to do with how quickly the temps drop during afternoon early evening?

Yup instar that and overnight temps getting lower and shorter daylight hours. some snakes care, some don't. Some of my snakes have even started cooling themselves by spending all their time at the cool end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back