Wireless temp monitoring?? Interest

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bundysnake

Reaction score
Just thinking of playing aorund with a new idea, just posting here to see if there would be enough interest to build a prototype.

I'm thinking of creating wireless temp sensors, that will display temps on a touch screen.
I'm thinking i could have around 20 sensors per touch screen, which would mean you could monitor 20 enclosures with 1 sensor or monitor 10 enclosures with dual sensors for hot/cold end. The sensors would be 5cmx5cm in size and you could screw them or use double sided tape to fix them off.
Each sensor could be named on the touch screen and renamed at anytime if you ever move snakes from enclosure to enclosure.

Would anyone be interested in something like this?

i would later look at including the ability to monitor humidity also.

Keyword here is "Monitor" not control.

Sounds like a good concept, so u want to have temp sensors in each enclosure, that sends a wireless reading to a central type hub?? I think its a great idea for those who have multiple enclosures to monitor, however Im a plumber so probly not gunna be cluey enough to build a prototype, so hopefully theres an electronics expert here that could build one, but now that you've told everyone your awesome idea, I hope nobody steals it and cashes in on it...lol

I use wireless temperature sensors in a number of my enclosures. Only thing that annoys me is that the batteries run flat now and then. Having said that, being able to monitor 20 enclosures from one point would be great :)

Mmmm gismos, goooood:D
Sounds like a good idea. Is it aimed at the professional breeders or any one with a rep?

Thanks for all the replies.

The product would be aimed at all reptile keepers but would be very handy for the proffessional breeeder.

Would be as hi tech as you want it,
touch screen for the those who aren't good with computers and a model that has software on your computer for monitoring enclosure temps.

The sensors i'm planning on using if the company joins the band wagon take 2 x AA batteries which will last about 1-2 years.

Anyone got computer programming skills or elctronics skills? I need to write an application......to control the electronics.

got a rough price on what something like this would cost? would it be like buy the touch screen and say if i had 10 enclosure buy 10 sensors? wicked idea...

no idea on price as of yet but i'm hoping each sensor would be no more than $20 each. Touch screen would be the pricey bit but you could always opt for the PC windows version so you don't need a touch screen.

Just hoping fellow herpers can help me develop this product/idea before some big knob business man steals my idea and sells it back to all of us at some ridicolous price.

sounds like a good idea. Hopefully you could do something that would work relatively cheap so everyone could afford it

i was chasing this idea a while ago but have been just too damn busy to do anything with it. If you find someone to do the hardware, this kind of software is my what i cut my geeky teeth on ;). PM me if you decide to do anything with it

Also, f you added some sort of link (serial, ethernet, etc) to allow 3rd parties to read the raw temp data I could also integrate it with something I am currently working on
thumbsup8de.gif

Temp Idea

Yes i would buy one, its a great idea. Just as long as its not to high tech to use.
Go for it. :)

looks like swaddo is on board i have shot him a pm :D:D:D, will keep this thread updated as soon as news becomes available..............

Haven't forgotten about this guys!!

First of all would anyone be intereted in what i have developed so far?

The device will have the ability to monitor and log readings from a maximum of 16 enclosures or 8 hot end and cool end.
At present there is no wireless function so you would need a pc or a laptop in your reptile room.

If i developed this device to have wireless support how much would you be willing to pay for a the device?

Just trying to get a feel if it would be within everyones budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back