Woma Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am planning on getting a Woma - in a while yet though - and Just wondering if anyone can give me some help with the enclosure set-up?

If you can please give me just a brief (or detailed if you want, the more info the better) description and some ideas on a great enclosure set-up for a woma.

Size
Lighting
Heating
Thermometers
Thermostats
Substrates
Hides/decor etc
Good fake plants?
Any other tips or add-ons needed that I may have missed out on?

Also, if I use heat globes, do I need a blue night heat globe? And how many watts for the globes?

Thanks so much everyone.

Womas don't need anything much different then any other python
Size - Clack click setup for hatchies, tubs for juv/yearlings, 4x2x2 bare minimum for adult, probably want 6x2x2 if its a SA locale
Lighting - No special lighting req. just a standard fluro for day/night cycle if you want
Heating - Heat mat or heat cords for click clacks and tubs, heat mats, heat cord, CHE or basking globe for adult enclosure, depending on personal preference
Thermometer - digital probe thermometers are my preference
Thermostat - depends on the type of heating you decide on
Substrate - I use kritters crumble for my woma, he love digging through it
Hides/decor - At least two, one on the hot side, one on the cold side, something just big enough to squeeze into. I also provide a low branch or log as womas aren't great climbers but still love to try
Fake plants - Depends on the look you are after, fake grasses are my preference
Heat globe wattage will depend on the size of the enclosure, the materials used and your local climate

Would a 4x2x2 be ok for a WA Woma? - of course I would get a big one if he needed it. just I've seen these around but haven't seen many bigger ones.

If I use a red infra red heat globe during the day, should I use a blue one at night? And I would most likely be getting a habistat thermostat so which of those works for globes. And I'm in Vic temperature wise. Hot/cold. 4 seasons in one day. :)

Sorry if i sound really dumb but I am doing a lot of research. There's just so many opinions on heating, lighting, etc.

Thanks so much. This really helped.

4x2x2 will be fine for a wa woma, I believe they are one of the smallest woma locales. No real need for night heat in my opinion gotta remember in the desert its hot during the day and damn cold at night, but if you've got a spare socket a blue globe could be set on a timer for a few hours in the evening for viewing. As for thermostats I'd go with a dimming model

Sounds good. Thanks heaps mate, appreciate it. :) Do you mind giving me a brief description of the dimming ones? sorry. just want to get things right. particularly as this will be my first! hopefully I can extend my collection after that! gotta know what I'm doing first though. No joke, your help is really appreciated.

You could keep a WA in 3x2ft enclosure quiet easily. I've been keeping my males in 3ft and females in 4ft for a few years now. I don't think I'd bother using anything larger than 4ft for any locality. Hot spot of about 33 is fine.

Dimming thermostats control the output of the globe rather than turn it on and off (once it gets warm, they will be running at a lower power and fluctuate to try keep it consistantly the same temperature).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back