Woma swallowed his own jaw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle94

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So on the weekend i was doing my routine feed with my yearling womas. As they were fussy feeders when i first received them they are fairly small and i have slowly been up sizing their food. i decided to upsize there food from multiple fuzzy rats to 1 small weaner rat each. Both womas took the weaners with ease, but after they had swallowed there meal i new something was not right with my little male. Some how he had swollowed the right side of his jaw and his teeth had snagged within his throat. When i sore this i became very distressed as he could not re position his jaw. After ten minutes of allowing him to correct himself he was still in the same position. So carefully i used my finger and a cotton bud to dislodge his jaw! thankfully he was okay, but i was wondering has this ever happened to anyone else before? in my 8 years of owning snakes i have never herd of such thing happening! Again the weaners where relatively small, and a suitable size for both snakes!photo.JPG

That's kind of what my woma looks like(just not as bad)after she's eaten a hopper. She always gets it back in place though ;)

makes me wonder whether I should keep feeding her hoppers or a fuzzy or two

I've never had any swollow there jaw before, but I've had heaps get there jaws stuck on there lips to the point I needed to help.

This made me cringe when I read this, poor little guy! I have never heard of this happening. Maybe he was just over excited About the large feast he was about to digest lol. Could have also been that one of his teeth got caught on the food as he was bringing it down? I don't know. This one has me stumped.

I have had it happen twice over the years. It is very difficult to get the jaw back into place, but can be done with some patience :))

497ABB67-E4B6-4A98-9B79-5FC1AFBC0AC5-12594-00000CEC55155636.jpg

Poor thing got it caught at the back of his throat, had to use a tooth pick to try and lift it up and over his tooth. Definitely not a pleasant experience for either of us.

yeah it was very tricky to try and dislodge the teeth from inside his throat and bring his jaw back to the correct position without hurting him! im glad im not the only one this has happened to as i was very worried haha
The GTP look exactly the same as what my woma did with the tongue out and everything:(

Being young, could it be a lack of calcium to strengthen the bones in their jaws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back