Woma Temperature Gradient

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

357MAGNOLE

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

New to the forum and my name is Chris. I am from Florida (U.S)

I have done all sorts of searches be it on here or google and can not quite turn up the information I am looking for. I have recently acquired my first Woma and already have a second on the way. The first is a Male and around 1.2 meters and the other (on the way from a breeder) is a Female around .6 meters.

The cage for the Male is a 4x2x2 Vision cage. (very nice by the way)

My question is in regards to the temperature gradient. I just want to make sure there is no issues with this. His hot side has a hide, and his cold side has a hide. The hot side is 28.3 Celsius inside of his hide and about 36 Celsius on the topside (basking area). The Cold side is usually right at room temperature 23-24 degrees Celsius.

Most care sheets and information I see say to keep them between 28-32. So should their entire enclosure be maintained at that temperature or will the hot side, cold side work with them? I notice my Male tends to stay on the cooler side unless he has eaten in which case he is basking or inside the warmer hide for a few days.

I will attach some photos, if anyone has suggestions for improvements I would love to hear them. By the way, the heating for the Vision cage right now is a couple of lamps with 2 75 Watt bulbs. I have a third lamp down towards the cool end I can turn on if temps drop but I have yet to need it. Everything stays between 23-25 Celsius there.

The heating for the tub (click clack I think yall call them, please correct me if I am wrong) is a thermal pad. Inside the hide is a cozy 31-32 Celsius and the hide on the cold side is the same as the vision cage right around 23-25 Celsius depending on the room temperatures.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
In my opinion the setup you have described would be ideal to house a woma. Tempreture gradient and hot spot tempreture sound right.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. I am experienced with keeping reptiles of all kinds but the Woma is new territory for me. I have to admit they are amazing creatures. My male seems so intelligent for a snake. I was immediately hooked after purchasing him and got a female immediately

Set up is good. I run 32' floor temp at the warm area 1/2 cage and ambient at other. They self regulate the temp they require.

Woma husbandary is no different to other species. Provide floor heat compared to 'on roof' heat like for a morelia. Womas will try to climp but aren't good at it.
Only difference comes at breeding time, incubating eggs. Being a desert species you get better results from a drier mixture. 0.8:1

Thanks everyone,

I got my male a lady friend this past week. She is phenomenal. Her belly is orange, and her markings are orange about 1/3 from her stomach to her back before they turn to a burnt orange/brownish color. Awesome snake, and feisty as she can be. Did not enjoy her over night trip I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back