Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a little while back one of our young womas actually sprayed what seemed like half a cup of water from the mouth all over herself. It was very close to a shed so maybe it is something they occasionally do to aid a shed. That's only a guess but I do know it was not harmfull in any way other than meaning I had to redo a freshly changed substrate due to the amount of water.

Thank you Baxtor....

That made me feel a LOT better!!
That completely makes sense considering I believe she's about to shed. Her eyes are metallic just like they always are a few days before shed. I have never seen her bathe in the water or anything like that, but I'm not normally up and rummaging in the reptile room at 4am...

Thank you for the information....Maybe now I'll be able to rest... :)
I changed out her water bowl and removed some of the substrate that was dampened by the water, so we'll see in the morning.

THANKS again guys....

I really really appreciate the help!! ;)

Thanks for helping out too Bouncen!

oh if she's doing any kind of weird stuff tomorrow you can bet I'll be taking her to the vet on Monday morning...I'll be sure to keep you guys informed though. Hopefully she'll go into shed tonight or tomorrow and I'll just know for next time, that they are smart enough to "wet" them selves to aid in shedding....

Thanks again... :)

Here is little Lana..

reptiles019.jpg

Normally when pythons have RI the signs are pretty clear constantly rubbing there face on anything they can, sleeping with there head in a vertical position even resting there head on the wall of there enclosure, moisture in the mouth (mouth looks fairly wet at the back of the throat) and at times they can rub so much that they cause a scar on there head or worse make it bleed. Those signs are usually the start of RI once it gets worse you'll start seeing the runny nose, more noticalbe mucus in the throat, sneezing, weezing, blocked nostrals and so forth. Another sign which you stated is the puffing of the throat, they do this quite often when they have RI, also tongue movement can become a lot slower. Hopefully it's not the above but from what you stated she's doing sounds very simular.

If it is RI just increase the temps and she will needs some baytril (antibiotics) but best thing to do would be to pay your vet a visit tommorow just to rule this out.

Allana :)

I doubt very much that they wet themselves 'for a shed'. That kind of higher thinking doesn't belong to a snake, that's for sure. I have heard of womas puffing their throats before, and I've never heard it linked to a death (unless it was because of an RI)

I doubt very much that they wet themselves 'for a shed'. That kind of higher thinking doesn't belong to a snake, that's for sure. I have heard of womas puffing their throats before, and I've never heard it linked to a death (unless it was because of an RI)

I won't go into specifics but I think you are doing snakes an injustice.

Thank you guys....

This morning she is doing nothing abnormally. She is flicking her tongue and curled up in a circle. Allana, she's not showing any of those signs of an RI. I had a snake with an RI, and I could probably detect it again. She wasn't showing any signs. Just simply spit out some water when I picked her up and acting like she was trying to regurge the rest of it... I did raise her temps though, so hopefully she'll continue show me I was just being a overprotective mom.

Hey guys....just a update on how she's doing tonight...she is completly normal. I opened up her mouth to check for abnormal water amounts and bubbles. Nothing. She has no crust or anything on her nose. Her eyes are more metallic than yesterday, so definitely a shed coming up. Some of her scales are roughed up a little bit...I did raise up her heat a little bit today. she's been sitting at about 90 degrees. That's 3-4 deg higher than what she has been at. I will continue to monitor her very closely for a few days, at least until she sheds. :)

Thanks for the help last night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back