Woman busted with boa

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

horsesrule

Reaction score
Lol

Another one busted there must be so many illegals now in Aus.

I think its time to rethink exotics otherwise this situation will only get worse.

$800 fine for snake collection in Delahey

227625fa698192c7daf16a2fff0dcd13_resized.JPG

DSE compliance officer Drew Wilson with the seized olive python from a Delahey property

A DELAHEY woman has been busted for keeping exotic and deadly snakes illegally in her parents’ home.
According to the Department of Sustainability and Environment, it’s the latest on a long list of similar cases in the western suburbs.
Drita Getaj, 20, of Frost Drive, was fined $800 and $1023 in costs at the Sunshine Magistrates’ Court last week for having protected wildlife without a permit and keeping a boa constrictor.
DSE officers seized a native death adder and olive python along with the South American boa constrictor from the house in October last year.
The boa constrictor and python were both infected with the highly contagious inclusion body disease, fatal to Australian pythons because of their lack of immunity.
Senior investigator Keith Larner said the western suburbs had the highest levels of illegal exotic wildlife trade in Victoria.
Offenders were typically enthusiasts whose habits had got out of control.
Most offenders (70 per cent) had wildlife licences and should know there was"no excuse” for keeping exotic reptiles, he said.
Thirty-eight per cent of people caught with illegal wildlife were also in possession of cannabis and 17 per cent had prohibited weapons.
The DSE urges anyone in possession of illegal wildlife to hand them in to authorities.
“We’d rather they hand them in voluntarily without having to go to court,” Mr Larner said.
There was a danger that introduced reptiles would become pests in the environment like the rabbit and fox.
North American corn snakes and red-eared slider turtles, already spotted in Melbourne’s waterways, were aggressively competitive species, a threat to native animals.
Common snapping turtles which could bite a person’s hand or foot off could also adapt, he said.

Last edited:
Wow she got off light, thats pathetic. They should start slapping down the minimum $10,000 fines, that will probably cut the offenders in half just from doing that.

Sucked into her though. =)

:evil:absolutely pathetic joke :evil: is it any wonder the amount of black market reptiles are so prevalent with such a pathetic justice system ???:evil::rolleyes::evil:

i wanna see a snapping turtle take someones foot off. silly hag.

there is one bloke i know of with plenty of exotics . he tells you if ever the cops or parks turn up . he will keep them at the door while the wife stashes them away. the same bloke is so dumb he trys to sell them down at the local pet shop . even tells them they are unreal and you dont even need a permit for them :lol: unreal , hes even a member of wires ,parks give him reptiles to look after which are later then put on his permit (never seen a bloke with so many 5 foot dimonds for sale). everyone here knows of him i know myself just dont like to get invoved with these things they can turn nasty . but hes been doing it for 8 years i know of . . with fines like these things will stay the same . ive heard of hundreds of storys like mine....

Wow she got off light, thats pathetic. They should start slapping down the minimum $10,000 fines, that will probably cut the offenders in half just from doing that.

Sucked into her though. =)

I am in total agreeance here VIxen, she got off way too light.
$800 is probably just play money to her considering how much it must have cost to have it bought over here in the first place.

re Woman

Good excuse the incusion body desease,OPMV etc to give cause for killing the animals,generations captive bred the boas and corns etc in australia,they are the ones that would have little immunity,been captive bred longer than most australian snakes,its all media spin and codswollup.

Yes, absolutely spot on there Zulu. Tell the people what they want to hear.

I don't know why the government don't legally bring over a few hundred pairs or each of these species, quarantine them for 6 months then breed them and sell the offspring that are disease free.

This will stop people from wasting there time illegally importing them and will stop putting the environment at risk with illegals that have diseases.

That will stop all the illegal reptiles with diseases coming into Aus,i cant see why they cant do it with gtp that they get,ones ppl get busted 4 illegally bringing in.6-8months in quarantine should make sure they have no diseases.

I don't know why the government don't legally bring over a few hundred pairs or each of these species, quarantine them for 6 months then breed them and sell the offspring that are disease free.

This will stop people from wasting there time illegally importing them and will stop putting the environment at risk with illegals that have diseases.

It won't stop people, because where ever people can get something cheaper and easier they will.

Plus disease isn't the only reason, as stated in the article if these animals are released/escape and set up a population they compete with our natives for food, shelter etc etc and can end up wiping them out.

that isnt the only problem with them being brought in, what if people have them escape or release them, look what happened with the cane toad, the domestic cat, asian house geckos etc. they will become a major pest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back