Wombat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not great pet i heard josh !

even the one on a country practise ( fatso ) years ago was more than one animal becuase they get cranky fast !!

not to be negative but I don't think your posts portray a good reason to consider keeping one.

I've worked with them and would not consider them to be 'pets' there is a lot of in depth planning and consideration that needs to be taken into account. Such a decision is not one to be taken lightly or out of impulse.

If you are interested in native mammals there are species available that are more suitable.

Having kept wombats i would have to say they are NOT a pet for the general public. Hand rared ones can tend to become agressive and once they start demolishing they dont stop.
Their bite isnt the best and i carry a scar on the hand from being bitten about 25 years ago.
I would strongly advise against keeping one as a pet!

Wombats....No good as pets as stated above, my uncle had a few from born which were hand reared they were ok and then when they got older they were just pests really, Demolished everything...I would love to keep gliders again, but i live in nsw now :(

You can keep gliders? Where? What State? I want one!!!

not to be negative but I don't think your posts portray a good reason to consider keeping one.

I've worked with them and would not consider them to be 'pets' there is a lot of in depth planning and consideration that needs to be taken into account. Such a decision is not one to be taken lightly or out of impulse.

If you are interested in native mammals there are species available that are more suitable.

agreed , I have worked with them too...Another thing to consider is the nasty bite !

My mate had one when he lived out west, it was cool and as smart as a dog, would follow him everywhere.
No idea what happened to it, i think it ended up becoming semi domesticated where it would hang around the farm etc but still wander around and do its own thing.

having handraised a few wombats for wildlife parks before i have to say as babies they are amazing, will follow you anywhere but require the same care as a human baby, once 18months of age comes round wombats revert to being solitary (taking away a few exceptional individuals ive met. at this age they dont like being with other wombats so certianly dont want to be around people, my partner carries a nice scar from our bub when he was only 8 kgs, now his just under 30 and we can;t enter his enclosure without a rake. keeping them enclosued in a private situation is damn near impossible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back