Wombat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh, so as babies they are fine but as they grow the get nasty.

Hmmm, I'll have a long hard think about it...
we have a bit of property here and thought a wombat would make a nice addition.

I did think about sugar gliders, but I heard that they are extremely social, and I could not possibly spend hours with them every night, and so because I could not care for them, I turned them down (I actually felt bad because I lost the guys number and could not call him back, Greg I think is name was)

I have also looked at getting Pademelons... what are your views on this?

Some native mammals, particularly wallabies and kangaroos, are very prone to stress-related diseases. These diseases can be brought on by contact with humans, domestic pets (cats and dogs) and by human-generated noise or machinery movement.
Many species need large outdoor enclosures.
Most native mammals are nocturnal. Some, such as possums and gliders, can really only be kept in fully enclosed outdoor aviary-type enclosures.
Some carnivorous species, such as quolls, have a huge home range - not unlike feral cats. They also need to be kept in large enclosed cages.
Same-sex members of some species, such as quolls and antechinuses, cannot be housed together for much of the year. They will fight, often to the death.
Some animals, such as male wallabies and kangaroos, become aggressive on reaching sexual maturity. At these times, they can become quite dangerous to humans.
Native species have a very short life cycle of birth, breeding and death. They can become inbred quickly, so new animals with different genes need to be constantly introduced.
Most native mammal species do not domesticate well. They generally cannot be enjoyed in the same way as a dog or cat

above is the reasons we DECCW wont allow natives as pets.

why i agree with most of there reasons !
Most native mammals are nocturnal. Some, such as possums and gliders, can really only be kept in fully enclosed outdoor aviary-type enclosures.- make it part of the license that they be kept in min enclosures as part of the license and make all licensees do a course for keeping that animal they wish to keep !!

Victorians - can keep just about anything they want and how ofen do you hear of adverse evidence of them being incorrectly housed or kept as pets !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back