Woodie Colony - Using Fluon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SYNeR

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on Fluon. I'm considering ordering some from Herp Shop. Up until now, I've been using Vaseline for my woody colony, however it's extremely messy as others have noted. Not because of accidentally getting it everywhere, but because it seems to melt and droop down the insides of the container.
(Although it may help if I move my colony downstairs into the garage where it's cooler).

It's got to the point where the vaseline is getting all through the container, egg cartons and cardboard tubes. I'm thinking I'll just buy a bigger container (go from the current 54L up to 100L) and start over. This will give me the chance to do a proper clean out, too.

I thought by using a larger 100L container, I could organise the cardboard structure (egg cartons, tubes, etc) to one side of the container. This way, I could tip the container so all the poo, etc goes to one side to be easily cleaned out.

My main question is, does Fluon hold it's shape well? And has anyone come across instructions for its application? Do you apply it directly, or dilute with water.

It seems a lot of the time I don't even feel like I need anything to stop Woodies escaping. Once they've settled after I've moved things around in the container, they appear to want to hide away amongst the cardboard and enjoy their food.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi all,
(Although it may help if I move my colony downstairs into the garage where it's cooler).The colony will slow right down and maybe even stop breeding
My main question is, does Fluon hold it's shape well?Yes And has anyone come across instructions for its application?No instructions needed just apply with a paintbrush Do you apply it directly, or dilute with water.Apply directly from the bottle

It seems a lot of the time I don't even feel like I need anything to stop Woodies escaping. Once they've settled after I've moved things around in the container, they appear to want to hide away amongst the cardboard and enjoy their food.Without a lid heaps of them will escape

Thanks,

Mark

Fluon is the only way to go with woodies. A thin coating, 3 to 5 cm wide around the inside rim is all that is needed. Do not touch until dry which doesn’t take long. To be on the safe side, redo every 6 months. After say 4 coats, scrap it off and start again. A bottle will last you a long time at that rate. See if you can share with others.
Woodies like the dark. If you switch o the light you will see them all out and about – they quickly scurry off to shelter. As Ramsayi pointed out, growth and reproduction are temperature dependent.
If you place the egg cartons on their sides the dropping will fall to the floor of the container. He numbers of woodies per container is really only limited by the amount of surface area of egg cartons for them to occupy. So all you need is one end of the container chock-a-block with egg cartons from one side to the other and a thin strip of space down the other end. To clean the container, just hold the egg cartons in place, tip up about 45o and give it a gentle shake or tap. Scoop out the old, replace with fresh substrate and reverse the process. Easy as.
Blue

paint fluon on as it comes. 2 or 3 coats is all thats needed. paint a 50mm band around the top of the container.

Thank for the info. I just ordered some Fluon, as the vaseline sure has made a mess (especially after the hot weather over the last few months - it's dripped everywhere).
I'm going to get a much larger container (around 100L), and fill half of it with egg cartons. This time I'll remember to seat the cartons sideways so food/crap doesn't get caught, and with the extra space it will make cleaning much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back