Woodie Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys, I'm getting a start up woodie colony the day after tomorrow, and I have zero egg cartons.. I will be getting about 1250 woodies, and have nothing for them to hide in.

Can anybody in Brisbane recommend me a place to get egg crates that I can cut up and use for my woodies? I need them ASAP!

you dont have to use egg cartons you could just use layers of flat cardbord to the same effect

Fruit shops, take away shops, supermarkets (that sell large amounts of fresh fruit), cafes etc etc

go to your local mcdonalds near the end of breakfast so about 10am i work at one and in one brekkie they go through heaps of eggs. if they haven't thrown them out you'll have enough to last you a while.

scrunch up a bunch of newspaper.

i have 5,300 coming and don't have any cartons either.. LOL

fruit shops.

They will actually hide in just about anything, egg carton stype stuff is good but you can use pretty much anything.

Thanks guys. They'll be here Thursday. I have to Fluon their tub still, but that's coming with the roaches.

Bit worried about how I'm going to feed them to my animals if they can run up vertical surfaces, and my dragons can't.. Not mention how I'm going to dust them with them climbing out of my shaking jar hahaha.

Advice?

Use fluon in another plastic tub and either put it in the enclosure or put the dragon in the tub. Some species are good at catching them and you can just leave them in the enclosure (put fluon around the top edge), but i dont think any dragons would fit in that category. Accies should be able to hunt them down well though.

Will ackies use their forked tongue to find any hidden roaches? I find if the dragons lose sight of the crickets, they stop looking for them.. They will pretty much only catch a cricket if it is in eye shot..

Monitors seem to actively 'search' out food.. so would they be better at catching hidden woodies/crickets?

Maybe I'll stick to crickets for the dragons, or as you said, put them in the woodie tub (but then I can't dust the woodies).

easy to do, use toilet rolls or paper towelrolls as well as egg carton. layer of egg carton, layer of rolls and so on.. start collecting now. scrunched up news paper is fine while you get your collection started. when you want to feed your herps just pull out a toilet roll put it in a plastic bag with your calcium and vitamins already in and shake em up. freshly dust roaches usually are sluggish and slightly dopey so you shouldnt have a prob with any escapeing and if you see one near the top of the tank a quick flick in the head will stop that.
if you have no fluon, you got probs

I havnt ever kept ackies, but i think they would find them pretty easy, just dont have heaps of little gaps they can get into where the monitors cant get to them. Its good fun watching them hunt too.

Would ackies be OK to be fed kangaroo mince once in a while?

I tong feed my ackies, takes time but it does somthing to slow the infestation of roaches in your house. I find ones that hide usually avoid being eaten until night time when they then escape the enclosure.

Would ackies be OK to be fed kangaroo mince once in a while?

kangaroo mince, pinkies, eggs. All fine things to supplement their diet with.

With dusting i usually have the powder tubs open and dunk the roaches in there before feeding them out.

Tong feeding.. sounds tedious :lol:. Sounds easiest to put the herps in the roach tub, but that doesn't allow dusting. I guess the supplement could go in the mince.

I'm sure I'll work it out.. Gotta formulate my ackie diet too.. Instead of studying, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back