woodies with maggots

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kel

Reaction score
i just got the last container of woodies from my local pet store and when i got home after i had fed some to my beadry and bluey i realised there are huge maggots in the bottom of the container. can i feed the maggots to the reptiles, should i bin the hole thing, or should i just seperate them

i'm not sure what to do

seperate the maggots and put them in the fridge with some bran/oatmeal. Then take them back to the pet shop and tell them, you will get a free pack of woodies:p
there fine to feed to your reps, no probs at all they will love them.
Are you sure there fly maggots? as woodie neonates are little brown worms when they hatch, before they turn into the bug:D

Are you sure there fly maggots? as woodie neonates are little brown worms when they hatch, before they turn into the bug:D

Baby woodies just look like tiny roaches don't they? I mean they have the egg stage when the eggs are attached to the females behind but that is yellow, then they hatch out of that into baby roaches, I've never seen a worm stage in there life cycle, does anyone have pics of this?
cheers

Their first stage out of the egg is as a little 'armour plated' worm, they are quite tiny so i don't know if i can take pix but i'll try.
Ok just took some pixs, and there a bit blury as my camera isn't the best and they are very tiny.
On closer inspection they look more like little catterpillas than worms, they have the legs all at the front like a catterpilla, and they moult from this stage into the roach stage at a few weeks old. :D

Attachments

• 100_2186.jpg
    100_2186.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 88
I think you have an intruder species in your roach colony pythoness. I do entomology, and roaches undergo hemimetabolous development, which means that the young which hatch from the egg look like a minature version of the adult, increasing in size each moult, and are classified as an adult when they have functional wings and are capable of producing offspring. Im pretty sure the larva you have taken a photo of metamorphose into a beetle.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: oh gosh is my face red. you must be right then, i must have a beetle living in my box, i just thought it was the woodies lol:shock: oh well it's a good day when you learn something new, and once agaain come to the understanding that i'm not infalable hehehe

No need to be embarrassed pythoness, I wasnt intending to do that. Im pretty sure the beetles have no detrimental effect to the cockroaches (apart from eating dead ones).

Well you must be right Malley, cause they have been in there for as long as i've had the colony,,,, um about 6-8 months i guess, and my roaches are doing wonderfully well, so well infact that iv'e had to split it 4 times :D
It's a good thing an entomologist is with us, as i would have gone on thinking they were a part of the life cycle of my roaches, as i've never seen a beetle in the tank,,,, i guess they just fly away when old enough, whereas the woodies don't fly round much :p

I think you have an intruder species in your roach colony pythoness. I do entomology, and roaches undergo hemimetabolous development, which means that the young which hatch from the egg look like a minature version of the adult, increasing in size each moult, and are classified as an adult when they have functional wings and are capable of producing offspring. Im pretty sure the larva you have taken a photo of metamorphose into a beetle.

Cheers Malley, thats what I thought, I used to have a small species of beetle in with my crix ages ago but I left them there as the grubs made good gecko food. I'm doing entomology next semester, I can't wait :D its good to know about what we feed our herps :)

No worries, im not claiming to be an entomological genius :p! Im only a second year science student, but i have learnt a little bit :p

Maggets ????? when i had beardies we got little fruit flys in there with the crickets because the crickets are bred and freighted the fruit flys must of came from QLD.
Well i would take it back to the shop and get a free packet of woodies like pythoness said :p

No worries, im not claiming to be an entomological genius :p! Im only a second year science student, but i have learnt a little bit :p
Going off topic but...
What uni are you at? Is the course good there.

Na man thats awesome, i would never have known any different, and here i was thinking i knew what i was saying AAAahahahaha:oops: :lol: :lol: Oh well at least i can laugh at my own stupidity heheh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back