Worming Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagos

Reaction score
Silly question - but just want to ask as a precaution

Should snakes be wormed? (or more the point, my snake...)

My dog recently had worms, and it had been in the same room as my snake enclosure numerous times - would it be a good idea to worm my snake too?

Male CCP 1 year old

Not a silly question at all, Snakes should be occasionally wormed especially if you feed them live food, Ivermectin is generally what's used, as it is an injection your best to see a veterinarian that has a good knowledge of reptiles.

Not a silly question at all, Snakes should be occasionally wormed especially if you feed them live food, Ivermectin is generally what's used, as it is an injection your best to see a veterinarian that has a good knowledge of reptiles.

Ivermectin shouldn't be used/injected into reptiles.it is fatal to most reptiles.even the producers of ivermectin say it shouldn't be used on reptiles. there are safe ,oral worming treatments that can be used/injected into their food.

Ivermectin shouldn't be used/injected into reptiles.it is fatal to most reptiles.even the producers of ivermectin say it shouldn't be used on reptiles. there are safe ,oral worming treatments that can be used/injected into their food.

To add to the above worming need only be done should worms be present in the first place.

Last edited:
Worming a snake without worms may cause more problems.Ive used worm out gel which i measure,according to snakes weight,measure the correct amount and inject into a rodent,then fed the rodent to snake...

I have a worming routine for my rodents but have yet to feel the need to worm the reptiles themselves. All seem healthy with no apparent signs to warrant worming.

I have done it for years with any new snakes coming into my collection under the guidance of a well known "reptile" veterinarian and have not had any problems what so ever. Each to their own I guess.

just with the dangers of ivermectin,a good mate of mine kept his collection outside and some ended up with mites. another allegeded "local snake expert" injected all 5 of his snakes with the dosage recommended on some American sites and within 6 weeks all 5adult pythons had died a slow painful death.
a further google search revieled how deadly ivermectin injections can be to reptiles and shouldn't be used at all.

Parasites like worms are usually host specific - the worms in snakes are not usually found in anything else. Unless your rodents have access to the faeces of snakes which have worms and passed the eggs out with their crap, they won't have worms. Worms don't appear out of thin air. If you have reptiles which have been fed on domestic rodents, the likelihood of the reptiles having worms is zilch. Prophylactic medication 'just in case' may be more harmful to the reptile than worms.

Jamie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back