Worms in my bearded dragon!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geckgeeks

Reaction score
Hey guys I need help. I've got a 1 and a half year old bearded dragon girl, I've had her from a hatchling and she hasn't been eating well for the past few weeks. She's still been eating a little bit though so I didn't pay to much mind but today I resorted to force feeding her a mouse and when I did this I noticed 2 thin worms on some of the organs at the back of the throat. I've noticed this on wild bearded dragons in my area and although housed outside I've tried to keep her away from them as best as possible. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed this in their bearded dragons and know how could I treat this? Being only 15 and having no income I can't afford a vet.

No other way too treat this unless you see a vet,theres all types of worms and parasites they can catch.
They could even be hook worms that live in the beard or pin worm or increased coccidia ?
Pet shops do sell reptile wormer though it doesn't cover all parasite and its best to get a feces sample done to determine the parasite.
Force feeding him a mouse isn't the best idea either could do more harm than good.

If you see a vet it will cost around $60-80 to see vet including medication.

Hey mate, I would use a worming product containing a compound called fenbendazole, its a safe drug and is cheap. I think its the active ingredient in most worming medication marketed towards reptiles. You can also use worm out gel (which is marketed for birds- the bird dose rate should be sufficient to get rid of the worms).
The parasite could be a number of species but worm out gel will cover both nematodes (round worms) and tapeworms. You will need to watch her though, the drugs are safe but if she has a reaction to it you might need a vet, likewise if she develops diarrhoea, starts/continues dropping weight etc you may need a vet because its possible that there is also something else going on

May I suggest you keep some money aside in a bank account as in the future you might find a more severe problem than worms, which will require a vet - seeking veterinary attention for your pets when they need it is a moral obligation of pet ownership.

Good luck with the Beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back