Worms!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofoula88

Reaction score
Hey guys,so I got my baby Pygmy beardies recently..there about 6 weeks old and I've been feeding them crickets as there main staple..also offering vegies everyday but they dnt eat much..so anyway I wanna start giving them some variety and was thinking of feeding them worms as a treat..there are so many kinds though..I'm thinking butterworms or wax worms,also hearing about silk worms and pheonix worms? I was told to stay away from meal worms coz of there hard shell and also superworms..so it's a toss up between the 1st four..can any1 tell me which is best to feed my baby beardies or if I should even be considering feeding them any worms at all at this stage..and are they available in aus?..where can I buy them from?
thanks

I wouldn't give any worms to a baby beardie until at least 6 months old as they can do more halm than good. I would stick to crickets, woodies and vegies. You can get most worms from pet shops.

Thats awsome you need to post up some pics for us all to see :)
Superworms (zoophobias moro) are fine later in moderation, there is no evidence that these cause impaction they have been used overseas for decades. I would wait a while however with being pygmys I asume they are only tiny :)
Silkworms are great however seem to be a once a year availability thing. Have you thought about woodies, grasshoppers etc?
Woodies are great for conditioning young dragons as they are very nutritionous and they love them.

ive never found butterworms, wax worms or phoenix worms in australia, and silkies are seasonal, and the seasons just about over,..

the superworms arent bad, but are high in fat, (about the same nutrition as mealworms but a better meal to shell ratio) and some dragons have trouble digesting them, so i only feed them when theyve just shed (the worms that is, not the lizards)
(size should be ok for pygmys once theyve grown a bit, but not at 6 weeks,..)

but i agree youd be better off sticking with crix and woodies, actually, my centrals prefer woodies to crix by far, and theyre heaps better for adding size/weight quickly,....

Kool thanks spikey jst wanted to kno...and dragon lover- um yes I have considered woodies but cnt do it..I hate cockroaches lol..guess I'll jst wait til the silkworms are available round October right?..by then my beardies will be old enough to eat em ..and yes will post pics up soon =]

Yerp pretty sure all the other worms are only in America =[ well watever I feed them it will only be as a treat one a week and will be in the future..jst wanted to see wat was out there and best for my beardies

woodies arent like normal roaches, if u get the preadult ones they dont have wings and are just like soft shelled beetles.

i thought the same at first, as did a few people i know and woodies became preferable to crixs really quicklky fro all of us.

a tip so u never have to touch them is get a large tub, put a rim of vaseline around the top, (about an inch wide, but thin) and just put the woodies in there with egg cartons.

when its time to feed ur dragon turn one of the egg carton bits upside down, add dragon to tub and let him eat. :p
too easy!!

You get used to it hey like chris said they arent like your house cockies (they are just gross) when you see how much your dragons like them it becomes worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back