Worried about my Beardie.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabigjhemzehh

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So a few months ago I got a pair of Bearded Dragon hatchlings and had them housed together until a couple weeks ago.
I separated them as one was significantly smaller than the other and I was worried it was being dominated (I came to the conclusion with help from many on the forums).
Now my larger beardie is thriving as usual, eating everything he's offered and is continuing to get larger.

Though my little one is exhibiting some odd behavior, rarely basking, always hiding and rarely eating.
I normally wouldn't mind with the antisocial behavior, it just seems to me as he never basks he's rarely warm enough to eat. He also never goes for his greens. I offer him woodies and mealworms regularly, along with a wide range of greens.
Every second day or so I have been able to get him to respond to hand feeding the odd worm. And yesterday he went for a woodie after I placed him in the basking area for a while.

I just can't seem to get him to eat more regularly. He seems far too small for a four month old bearded dragon, though I'm aware he is still very young I may just be comparing him to his brother too much.

Has anyone got any advice?

I got him feeding on medium woodies. About the size of the space between his eyes.
I don't really know how to describe the size of meal worms though?

The temp I've got a gradient with the hot end at around 35C and the cool end at around 25C.

I would certainly bump the hot end to about 40 degrees celcius, thats probably why, he is in partial brumation.

Meal worms generally are recommended NOT to be fed to hatchies, not until they are around 1yr old.
I am not sure how old or big he is but if he is under 5 months I would still be feeding small woodies.

In terms of veggies, just keep trying various methods with him to try and get him to eat them.

Just in case it helps I've got mine at 32-34 at hot end is there any way of providing a couple of basking spots? Also its normal for young beardies to be picky about eating greens at first

Ahh. Excellent. Thanks guys. I'll do some tweaking with his enclosure and keep him on woodies. Thanks for the advice.

I kinda have the same problem. My bearded dragon is about 5 months of age. Hardly eats any veg/fruit and will only eat 3-5 crickets a day. Rarely basking, hides a fair bit (I've had him for 2 or so months so his fairly settled in. Temps are fine, 40-42 basking spot, 30 cold end 36 warm end so a variety of temps for him to chose. He was smashing heaps of crickets down when I first got him.

So all in all I just put it down to brumation even though I didn't think hatchlings did their first winter.

I'm about to start breeding my own woodies so hopefully he'll eat more of those then crickets.

My beardie didn't brumate in her first year, now 18 months old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back