Worth doing up? Size issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonmum

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I wanted to canvas opinions on this entertainment unit I found.

As you can see, it is in good shape and it has 2 glass doors for the side cupboards (which I removed for transport). The price was right - free during curbside cleanup.

I was going to get started on converting the centre plus one side into an enclosure for one of my Darwins, but size is the issue. There is plenty of climbing space and overall area, but the catch is that I'm in NSW and it is JUST deep enough for 20% of her length. If she grows, it will be in breach of the COP. She is 5 years old and I suspect she has more growth in her, although she has been steady for a couple of years.

Before you offer, yes, I realise that I can easily get rid of this to another forum member ;)

What do you think, DIY friends, should I go ahead with the renovation? It would not be suitable for any of my other snakes, so it is my Darwin girl or nothing.

i recon if you have a divider in the centre part and cut a hole through from both sides to make two big vivs would b right

I plan to cut an oval hole in the wall to the left hand cabinet and have a branch which goes across the centre into the left side, where she would have a basking shelf with heat cord panel underneath. The branch will be below the panel so that she can bask on the branch (top heat) or shelf (belly heat). She usually prefers belly heat, especially when gravid. The right cabinet will be used for storage in the living room (DVDs, etc). The problem is the NSW COP and the width. The cabinet is BARELY deep enough. The rest of the dimensions are fine.

I think size wise your snake will be fine in it so you just have to make the decision whether you want to break the rules or not if it does not meet requirements.

Being in SA, I'm not familiar with the new NSW regs. Some of the regs are a bit draconian I think.
However, like Jimie said, if you make the whole cupboard one enclosure, it should be ok surely.

This is my one, it has had a few little changes like hides and stuff but basically it is similar to what you are thinking. If you do it I would either replace the back timber or nail/screw some 6mm ply over the back because it is usually not attached that well.

Attachments

• IMG_7056.jpg
    IMG_7056.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7058.jpg
    IMG_7058.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7052.jpg
    IMG_7052.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 65
Yes, that is very similar to what I have in mind. Only difference is that I want to leave one side cabinet for storage. I plan to replace the back of the enclosure with some thicker (more than 3mm) timber or MDF for better insulation. I am also debating whether to make two heat panels (one for the shelf on the left, one for the centre) or not. Now that we have central heating and air conditioning, there is not such a heat gradient to worry about.

yes, pine family, some of the regs become draconian. We are in a transition to the new laws. My old enclosures all meet guidelines, but this is a much more attractive piece of furniture than her current melamine one. I can also put casters underneath, something which is sadly lacking on the old enclosure, making it a mongrel to move.

Maybe do it up as is, replacing the back wall with something more sturdy. But then if your snake does grow, you could always extend out the back, perhaps like a bay design? This would overcome the depth restrictions.

What happens if your cage doesn't comply with the Code of Practice? I doubt that it would be straight to jail. You would probably get a chance to move the snake into another cage which did comply!

What happens if your cage doesn't comply with the Code of Practice? I doubt that it would be straight to jail. You would probably get a chance to move the snake into another cage which did comply!
Good point. I hardly think I would be jailed for keeping her in a lovely enclosure that is a cm or too short in depth (only if she grows....), but more than large enough in overall area. I could toss her in with her mate, as his enclosure should be big enough for both of them. His is an old corner cabinet, so it is much deeper. It is also a very odd shape, which will challenge the geometry calculation skills of any inspector who came by!

Pythonmum, did you make those doors for that cabinet, or did it come like that? I love that setup. It gives me fresh ideas for the corner unit I have sitting in the garage.

Pythonmum, did you make those doors for that cabinet, or did it come like that? I love that setup. It gives me fresh ideas for the corner unit I have sitting in the garage.
i made the doors and didn't quite match the stain correctly, but I don't mind the lighter frame after all. The main enclosure is heated with a homemade heat panels and is very efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back