Would it be possible?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spud_meister

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Shingleback to go with my Blue-tongue some time in the future, and this, like many things, got me thinking about sex. Could those two species interbreed? And would the offspring be fertile? I'm curious here.

So long as they are similarly sized and the enclosure is big enough , wouldn't they simply ignore each other ?

Anything is possible until proven otherwise.

While there will always be those who prefer pure animals over hybrids, crosses etc the Australian market is always going to be influenced by overseas markets purely because prices have dropped so much in the Australian market and people are finding new ways to turn a profit.

Add in animals such as reptiles have moved up in popularity in Australia and a lot of people want something different or something they have seen overseas markets, there are more and more different pairings happening all the time.

I know some people will disagree with what I have just said and that is fine I welcome it, but if you study the trends for the last 20 years if not more you can see the new fad is 'designer' herps.

I'd like to see some opinions on this. When I was young a I spent a bit of time with a lizard that I was told was a blue-tongue. That was back before I knew a lot about lizards. Now when I look back at him I realise that I've never seen another blue-tongue that looks like him, and when I think about it he almost looks like he is crossed with a shingle back. I have a couple of photos, but they are really old and blurry. They are all I have though, I took them back when I was still in High School years ago.

In this photo he is next to a normal blue-tongue.

311xds2.jpg

And this is one just of him, again sorry about the bad quality.

xmj02h.jpg

He had the tail and markings of a blue-tongue, but bigger rougher scales like a shingle. And the shape of his head almost seemed a hybrid between the two. Also as you can see his tail was sort of strange. It had a bit of a lump where it went from being large to small really quickly.

What do you think? Am I just imagining things here or is that not a normal bluey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back