would this work

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmuffin125

Reaction score
hi im looking at getting my first snake but im uming and aring about what will i do if it bites. i understand that snakes use smell as their main sence so i was wondering if u could relate that to handleing and feeding times for eg if i spray my hands with a certain smell every time i handle my snake it will relate that smell to handleing time and if i cover my hands with a different smell when its feed time so the snake will relate the smell with feed time would that work just a theory hope it doesnt sound to stupid

The only way I can think of is tub feeding. F10 is what you should spray your hands with, my snakes don't relate to smell, but they don't bite at all. I don't think it would work.....

hi mate i've been doing this for years never been bitten i wash my hands in cold water with sapoderm soap very quick rinse and away i go. they seem to me to have a strong association with certain smells hope this helps your on the right track

You really don't have to worry about being bitten by a python. Assuming you start with a hatchy it's nothing being bitten... and depending on what species you get (or just being lucky or unlucky) you could go a while without even being snapped at :)

kool cause thats wat i was finking just a quik rince in a certain soap one for feeding time and one for handleing time

Just make sure you wash your hands before and after handling. You never know where your hands have been! LOL.

Its a spray that you can use to clean the enclosure and also wash your hands. Its something like $35 but its a good price since it last you 1 year +. You put 4ml's in a 500ml spray bottle of water.
You should be able to get it from the petstore, i've seen it on the Valley reptile supplie's website and URS(Ultimate reptile supplies.

Sapoderm Soap Is Antibacterial And Only Cheap At Woolworths Good To Wash After And Between Handling Other Snakes/lizards Ect. F10 Is Pretty Expensive For A 14 Year Old .

f10 is a veternary grade disinfectant theres a few different types some hand gels cage cleaners they are probably the best disinfectants to be useing because they reduce the risk of opmv and ibd which if you introduce an animal which has these viruses you can unknowingly infect your other animals in your collection killing them aswell as the already infected one.

Sapoderm Soap Is Antibacterial And Only Cheap At Woolworths Good To Wash After And Between Handling Other Snakes/lizards Ect. F10 Is Pretty Expensive For A 14 Year Old .

I don't want a debate about this, but I was just telling him that its good to use.

There's nothing to worry about when getting bitten by a hatchling and when you do get bitten you'll probably laugh and realise it was nothing to worry about at all although i can relate to being worried about getting bitten by a first time snake owner and it's more the fact that it's a snake and you have it more or less drilled into you that snake bite=bad and it's more the motion or reaction of being bitten by a snake that you're worried about.

If you want to keep snakes you will get bitten by one sooner or later but try getting a placid one for starters and you should always disinfect or at least give your hands a good wash before handling them and they are also heat sensitive not just smell.If you have been handling mice or a pet bird then go to pickup your snake it's basically asking to get bitten as it associates the smell with your body heat and thinks food.I am now anal about disinfecting my hands before touching any of my snakes and inbetween cleaning enclosures due to cross contamination which is a big job with lots of snakes but with just one starting out be confident about picking it up don't um and ah about it and put your hand in then pull back then back in again as you'll most likely get bitten and starting off with a small hatchling you'll realise if it does bite it's not a big deal at all and doesn't hurt however they do tend to make you bleed a lot even from a small bite but there's no pain involved moreso your own inbuilt fear of being bitten by a snake...hope that helps and remember to be confident ,don't mess around and just pick it straight up or you can start out with a small hook made from a clothes hanger or something if you wish,good luck with your first of many more snakes to come i'm sure!!

I don't want a debate about this, but I was just telling him that its good to use.
I AGREE TROUSER F10'S GREAT JUST LETTING HIM KNOW A FEW OPTIONS ' GREAT THAT HE IS THINKING AHEAD AS HE HASN'T GOT THE SNAKE YET. SEE A LOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE SAY STUFF LIKE I HAVE HAD MY SNAKE FOR 4 MONTHS AND WONT EAT SHOULD I GET A LIGHT OR HEATING FOR HIM. I LIKE SEEING SOMEONE THINK THINGS THROUGH FIRST FOR A CHANGE.

I AGREE TROUSER F10'S GREAT JUST LETTING HIM KNOW A FEW OPTIONS ' GREAT THAT HE IS THINKING AHEAD AS HE HASN'T GOT THE SNAKE YET. SEE A LOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE SAY STUFF LIKE I HAVE HAD MY SNAKE FOR 4 MONTHS AND WONT EAT SHOULD I GET A LIGHT OR HEATING FOR HIM. I LIKE SEEING SOMEONE THINK THINGS THROUGH FIRST FOR A CHANGE.

Well its probley the first time i've seen someone think before they buy on this forum and any other forum for that matter.

Yep good to see someone researching before just jumping in without a clue.

If price of F10 is a problem just use diluted bleach it works very well ,all vets i've asked what they use to sterelise working benches etc have said they use bleach and should kill any germs lurking and would be a cheaper alternative to F10.Also having a bottle of Top Of Descent handy at all times is a good idea as mites can appear from all sorts of different ways and are a real pain in the butt not to mention they can carry diseases which is a big problem with OPMV which has hit many collections including mine.You don't hear about it often as most won't want to let others know they have it but it is a widespread problem which many people especially newbies know nothing about and can get into your collection as simple as on mites carrying the disease which there are so many different symptoms for.

I'm now extremely anal about cross contamination ,washing hands right down to not letting hardly any people who keep herps come into the house as all it takes is a mite on a person dropping off in your reptile room and contaminating your collection as simple as that,if i do let people in i will even hit them with a good dose of TOD :LOL:

Snakes especially li'l ones tend to bite...unless your lucky :p once your tagged by a juvi you'll realise how insignificant it is.....

My mates Darwins where good for getting over the fear of bites, they would smash you 5 times before you got them out of tubs. Dosnt hurt its just the thought of it!!!

Someone the other day mentioned that albino Darwins were just like normal Darwins with temprament however i have found this to be totally the opposite and so has the original breeder and he has no idea why but the albinos seem to be extremely calm as opposed to normal looking ones.

I rarely handle mine yet he is as placid as any python i've ever owned and never even looked like wanting to bite although he has a very strong feeding response and i always disinfect my hands and forearms before i handle him,imagine losing an animal like that after nearly 4 years just because of not washing your hands?A very expensive mistake for sure!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back