Would u take your reptile to the vet (Hidden responses)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you take your reptile to the vet?

• Yes, for yearly check-ups

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Yes, but only if something was wrong

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • No, I'd talk to non-vets for information (other keepers etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'd try and look up info in books or online

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I just let what happens happen.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tegstep

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Same as the other post but with some more options and hidden responses so feel free to say what you think.

Yeah, I would. I have and will be taking them again when I have the money. A $100 consultation once a year isn't much for these animals when you consider how cheap they are to keep.

In saying that, I wouldn't expect breeders with large numbers of animals to have regular check ups performed. The cost would be astronomical. BBEV's in Mt Gravatt are great, they will see a few snakes under the one consult for $90-ish, so it works out cheaper than a consult for a dog.

$90? That's dear. My vet charged me $38 consultation to check two at once. Last spring I had a python hospitalized for two weeks - cost me $108 in total.

Woah that's really cheap!! $90 is around average from what I've read. It cost me $300 for my cat to stay at the vets for less then a week...

In most peoples experience, a $38 consult is a repeat, or when the vet is not sure what they are doing with exotics therefore charge less to see them.
I can tell you that a fortnight in hospital for $100 is not even covering costs, so it is doing the profession a disservice.

I wouldn't take mine for check-ups, my dogs only get a check up once a year because they get their yearly heartworn injection/booster at the same time.

I only take them when they need it or I suspect something is starting to go wrong ie. clicking noises so suspected RI

In most peoples experience, a $38 consult is a repeat, or when the vet is not sure what they are doing with exotics therefore charge less to see them.
I can tell you that a fortnight in hospital for $100 is not even covering costs, so it is doing the profession a disservice.
Maybe some vets care more about the animals they treat than making money

Making money is one thing. Covering costs is another.
Vet surgeries are a business, like it or not. If vets don't make money, they end up closing up shop and can't help anyone.
You don't slog it out at uni for 5 years minimum to have to live on peanuts. And shouldn't be expected to.

Not saying you should but I have encountered vets that would rather let animals die than risk losing money.

It is required by a vet to provide emergency care or euthanasia if an animal is suffering.
If on the other hand an animal is sick it is the owners reponsibility to seek and fund veterinary care. It sucks but if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet.
Humans have medicare. Dogs, horses and cats have pet insurance. Maybe one day we will have this for our herps too, until then if you are going to take the animal home you have to take responsibility for all aspects of its care. Nothing kills a vet more than seeing a beautiful animal denied the care it needs due to an unprepared owner.

My dog almost died when I first got him, he got into the recycling and got a can stuck on his nose and breathed something into his lungs. The emergency vet here made the nurse watch while I cleaned out my everyday savings account via internet banking into there account as it was 2am. Because I couldn't access my vet fund savings account until morning they refused to start treatment and would only put him on oxygen under observation until morning. The vet then spent about 40 valuable minutes he could have spent helping my dog trying to convince me to put him down as it would cost thousands to fix him and he would probably die anyway. It ended up costing $450 all up and $250 of that was the emergency vets 4 hours of monitoring and consultation.

It is required by a vet to provide emergency care or euthanasia if an animal is suffering.
If on the other hand an animal is sick it is the owners reponsibility to seek and fund veterinary care. It sucks but if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet.
Humans have medicare. Dogs, horses and cats have pet insurance. Maybe one day we will have this for our herps too, until then if you are going to take the animal home you have to take responsibility for all aspects of its care. Nothing kills a vet more than seeing a beautiful animal denied the care it needs due to an unprepared owner.
Refer to above post.

That's a rough situation kaotikjezta. Can understand why it might sour your opinion.
I'm glad your dog ended up ok, the little buggers don't know the stress they put us through do they!

Absolutely I would. Money is not an issue when it comes to any of our pets' health and comfort.

I take all my animals to the vet if it's something I can't handle myself, I've worked as a vet nurse and now working in a wildlife park while i do further studies so most things short of serious disease or surgery i can handle myself at home and I'm pretty quick on picking up any subtle health issues so i deal with things myself(including taking swabs and doing microscopy) and save my money for when it's really needed. That said I'd say i'm the exception rather than the rule there, my skills mean i have the confidence and understanding to handle basic health issues and minor injuries, I always recommend that others without those skills head straight to a vet.

wouldnt hesitate if something didnt look right,..

but not fro checkups,....

If I suspect somethings wrong and that I can't deal with it I will get a consultation, if it requires further treatment and it is less or near than the replacement cost of my reptile then I will have it done depending on likelihood of a positive outcome. if it will cost more than the animal is worth then it will be humanely euthed.

If I suspect somethings wrong and that I can't deal with it I will get a consultation, if it requires further treatment and it is less or near than the replacement cost of my reptile then I will have it done depending on likelihood of a positive outcome. if it will cost more than the animal is worth then it will be humanely euthed.
Not big on sentiment then mate....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back